Reviews needed: UTD Fins (vs OMS Slipstream)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been thinking of getting the new neutrally buoyant UTD fins. Couldn't find much reviews online, so would like to ask if anyone has used them and what do you think?

I got to try the OMS Slipstream fins recently and I kinda like them. They were very light! And the material was kinda soft also, although I personally prefer something a bit stiffer.

If anyone has tried both the above fins, could you let me know how they compare? Thanks.

If anyone has tried both the above fins, could you let me know how they compare? Thanks.

I can't give you a comparison to OMS, but I can say the UTD neutral fins have completely transformed my diving style.

Previously I was using Hollis Bat Fins (negatively buoyant) and just could not get in good horizontal trim, no matter how much I fiddled with my trim weights. Right away the first time using these fins, my feet came up and good horizontal trim was suddenly effortless.

The fins are optimized for frog kicking. Their shape actually encourages you to frog kick, they kind of make it hard not to. I never frog kicked so smoothly, with so much power.

Note: UTD fins are wider by a couple of inches than jet-fin style fins. My pair won't fit into the dedicated fin pockets of my dive bag. But I love them so much, I don't really care.

To their credit, the Hollis Bat Fins excel at powerful flutter and dolphin kicks. That's just not my diving style anymore unless I'm free-diving, and I'll certainly keep them for that use.

SanDiegoSidemount - Previously I was using Hollis Bat Fins (negatively buoyant) and just could not get in good horizontal trim, no matter how much I fiddled with my trim weights.

A little puzzled because Sidemount is the quick fix for Trim. LOL Probably should have just said that you prefer the lighter fins from a comfort (didn't have to work as hard) stand point.

As long as you are weighted properly, you don't need to "fiddle with trim weights". Many posts on this, trim comes from us controlling our body and not having our body control us!

Ingredients to good trim: Head up, Arms out, Stiffen shoulder blades, Crunch butt cheeks, Ankles closer to butt and Point toes (flex feet). If you apply this (I teach this in all my classes), you will have good trim even with heavier fins.

Love checking out gear, I would be curious to see how these fins perform!

SanDiegoSidemount - Previously I was using Hollis Bat Fins (negatively buoyant) and just could not get in good horizontal trim, no matter how much I fiddled with my trim weights.

A little puzzled because Sidemount is the quick fix for Trim. ...

I guess I should clarify. My body trim was fine, but I just couldn't get my legs up. Between my un-buoyant tree trunks and heavy fins, my legs would always sink and end up too low. The end result was my frog kicks would still often disturb the bottom. I do think my legs are unusually negative (built up from decades of skiing, bicycling, etc.).

Not a problem anymore with UTD neutral fins. My leg position looks and feels right on, and the thrust from my kicks is directed backwards where it belongs. Your mileage may vary. Your legs are probably different from mine. My body will not back-float, I sink right to the bottom.

I understand about body position, but I think that ideally good trim should be effortless. I don't think you should have to flex your body (much) to maintain good trim, otherwise it'll just go out of whack when you're not concentrating on it (e.g. fiddling with equipment or doing an S-drill).

I finally found a combination of gear & weighting which allow me to be in great trim when I'm completely relaxed, and the UTD fins were the last piece of the puzzle I've been trying to solve for 25 years. Before, I didn't know if relaxed perfect trim would ever be possible for me, given my build.

I got the fins 3 weeks back and was able to use them on a trip. Vs the OMS I would say these are way superior in performance. They look very nice also, looks well made.

The fins are very stiff, which I really like. The thrust produced per kick is much higher this way, vs softer fins. One kick gives you a long glide. Modified frog &modified flutter kicks also work very well with them. The one fin that outperforms this fin that I've personally tried, is the Hollis F1. The F1 gives a longer glide per kick, but the blade of the F1 is much longer and the F1 was very heavy. I believe they made the blades short on this fin for manuevering in tight spaces for wreck/cave diving.

Where this fin shines is in the back kick. Back kicks are effortless with this fin.

As mentioned above these fins are very light in water. I can hover motionless in trim 2-3 inches off the sea bed without needing to do the left-right slicing motion to keep my feet up, which I needed to do with all fins I've tried so far.

These fins are not meant for conventional flutter kicking though because the fins are stiff. However my buddy did it and said it did not give her calf cramps like the jetfins and an older pair of diverite fins did.

Fins look to be identical to the HOG Fins! If we don't have as many people using the UTD Fins, has anyone dove this style HOG fin? Have you compared them to Jet, F1's etc..?

HogFin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom