Review: Whites Mk3 Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coming from the school of "it can't possibly be TOO warm," this is all great to hear. I'd rather be sweating at 56deg rather than shivering at 49!

How much is street for a DUI 400g, anyways?

I was torn between the MK3 & the Weezle. Ended up w/ the weezle extreme + through mike & his dema deal on them. I absolutely love it. I also own the MK2 that came w/ my Catalyst DS & really like the elastic panels & mobility. Although I can't compare the two, I'm still plenty able to hit my valves in the weezle.

Great & informative post. Thanks James
1. James, great reviews. Thanks allot for sharing.

2. Dirk, I have a question for you on sizing since you own the MK2 (this question goes out to anyone else who might have input as well):

How did you select the appropriate sized underwear? I am 6'4 and 86kg (read skinny). I am worried that the 2XL might be tall enough but too wide. Do you have any recommendations?

Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of trying the undergarments on before purchasing them.

Thank you in advance

I purchased my MK3 from Dive Right in Scuba, which by the way is a great shop to work with. I have ~10 dives using my MK3 and having a difficult time with bouyancy. If i don't put on at least 38 lbs (fresh water) i am grabbing rock too as previously mentioned. It appears as though i can't get the air out of the suit quick enough and it is not until i reach 13-15 at saftey stop when it starts to vent out of suit. My valve is wide open and i have to work very hard to pump air out with my arm. Does anyone have any suggestions other than just getting use to using 8 additional pounds.

thanks,
First time post and don't know if i did this correct

dmckindley, I'm sorry, but I don't have any good news for you. I added four pounds going from a compressed neo suit with Thinsulate to the Fusion with the Mk3. It's the big downside of the undergarment -- It's FLUFFY. I really couldn't believe at the beginning that I needed that much weight, and I had a couple of very uncomfortable dives until I convinced myself that there was no way to go any lower. I did a formal weight check AGAIN the other day, and yup . . . 31 lbs with a steel 95.

I like my MK3 a lot, but I won't go as far as James did in pronouncing it hot. I think it is comparable to the DUI 400g I briefly owned in terms of insulation, and it's MUCH more comfortable, as well as easier to stuff into a dry suit. But I use my Thinsulate vest under it, with a third layer of thin fleece, and I still get cold after an hour in mid-40's water.

I have two mild criticisms . . . One is the extreme buoyancy, which I think is very similar to a Weezle, as I remember from having borrowed one way back when. The other is that I don't think White's designed the Fusion to have the Mk3 stuffed in it. It takes me quite a bit of time to work the legs down to the feet of the suit, and worse to get the arms down to the wrists. I had a couple of weird dives at the beginning, where I got in the water and thought my wrist seals were leaking, because my wrists felt so cold. Turned out I simply hadn't gotten the undergarment worked all the way down. The thumb loops are way too stretchy to do it.

Another mild criticism -- the hand warmer pockets are precisely that. Don't put anything in them, because it will fall out.

On the other hand, I LOVE my tail flap. And I also love the fact that the upper body portion of the suit is cut for motion. The combination of the Fusion and the Mk3 lets me get my valves as easily as in my wetsuit.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am relatively new to dry suit diving and maybe eventually i'll be able to trim some weight off. One detail i failed to mention is that i am also working with a new dry suit (first purchased) and the exhaust valve works a little different than previous ones i have tried.

Thanks again for your comments. I see your link to your dive journal and will be checking that out. Looks like you have a ton of experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom