REVIEW: OrcaTorch 2700 lumens canister light D620 by Alec Peirce

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beam angle and the spread of emitters aren't directly linked. Each emitter will have a lense and there will be a reflector. There are other ways too which I'm not going to discuss as my company designs LED lights (For TV studios) and I'm not giving away freebies

However I can assure you that with proper design you can get an array to replicate a point source, from there you beam angle is easy to design.

I understand that, and that is part of why I am still holding out hope for actual specs and useful reviews. Though I do note that it seems to me that an array would have to have a focus distance for the target beam angle and any other distance would result in a larger effective beam angle.

Regardless, what I have seen in the industry is that small light heads with multiple emitters generally do NOT have beams that are nearly as tight as what I would prefer. Especially in relatively inexpensive lights. Thus my skepticism. I was HOPING for a D620 with a bigger battery pack and a tighter beam angle - and nothing else (unless they could also make it variable focus). This D630 is simply not that - at all.

Regardless, what I have seen in the industry is that small light heads with multiple emitters generally do NOT have beams that are nearly as tight as what I would prefer. Especially in relatively inexpensive lights.
Fwiw i had the focusable 32W Light Monkey. With the size of its XHP70 emitter, its beam was less tight than a triple emitter Big Blue light.. and it had a really ugly cross pattern in the center.

Fwiw i had the focusable 32W Light Monkey. With the size of its XHP70 emitter, its beam was less tight than a triple emitter Big Blue light.. and it had a really ugly cross pattern in the center.

Yeah, a local buddy got that LM 32VF light and I am not really impressed with it....

Hi all.
I came across this thread as I was seriously thinking about getting myself a D620 canister light.
This is a link to a DEMA report that shows details about the new D630. Unfortunately, Orca are not very easy to communicate with so I am struggling to find info on that new product as well (explanation and general description - in the video itself): OrcaTorch DEMA Show 2018 Report
Regards,
Delyan

Hi all.
I came across this thread as I was seriously thinking about getting myself a D620 canister light.
This is a link to a DEMA report that shows details about the new D630. Unfortunately, Orca are not very easy to communicate with so I am struggling to find info on that new product as well (explanation and general description - in the video itself): OrcaTorch DEMA Show 2018 Report
Regards,
Delyan
You might want to peruse this thead: We'll show a lot of prototypes at DEMA 2018 in Las Vegas!!

Hi all.
Regards,
Delyan

Hi Delyan, sorry, the language of the video is French. We will try to subtitle in English, so that will be better for understanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom