Review of the Oly XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharing some pics over the weekend, bneen following this thread since conception :)

polka by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

bokehlicious xz1 by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

crystal by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

Phyllidia Ocelleta by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

kuinei by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

the view by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

wide angle- 6mm/ or 28mm equiv, this octopus was huge

gigantor vulgaris by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

Video (not that good, didn't have time to explore but with manual exposure, it holds promise)
link YouTube - Olympus XZ1 Video Sample / Photo Samples - Scuba Dive feat. Huge Octopus HD

bottomline, the camera is worth every penny (paid much more than usd499 and 299, bought total usd865 but much better than buying my gf1 a 10 bar house-usd1k or an inon x2-usd2k)

issues.
1. yes flash doesn't fire on super macro mode, will try above suggestion for future strobe purchase/fiber optic cable use
2. did short clips using underwater scene modes, they were pixelated, but then, viz was 3-5 mtrs (dove Nha Trang vn)
3. no dedicated iso is a bummer, but best to leave at iso100 for less grain
4. afs tends to chase focus on the slightest pan of the cam, will have to use manual focus next time.
5. shutter ends at 1/2000 and ap ends f 8.0, wish could have been extended to 1/4000 and f16 for future strobe use, then again theres flash power anyway

loves...
1. knob by the port left side of housing, makes it easy to change shutter (access front shutter ring) while aperture controlled by main buttons on the right (good separation of control, for me)
2. slightly positive bouyancy, no need for weight,
3. pt-050 port has a 67mm thread at the end for easy ucl use, nice touch, used inon ucl165 for pics above
4. internal flash has 4 settings, Full, 1/4, 1/16 and 1/164 which with an oversized difuser makes great strobeless macro photos (was using 1/4 and 1/16 for photos posted above)
5. UW WB has dedicated red and green +/-, quick adjustments on light/color of water, havnt tried manual wb though
6. LCD is crystal clear, for me clarity was too much since u get sharper photos on the lcd than on the computer screen (deceiving, and u thought u took have a pic with good focus)
7. its ultra light, fits my dry box, excellent travel companion (for the budget airline guy that I am)
8. the 1.8 ap...its bokehlicious :D

for its prize, size, and what it can do, pound for pound best compact - me thinks- :)

Last edited:
;p abracadabra

x-zzzzz-1 by ScubaMagneticPop, on Flickr

took this 2cm from bee, posted last thurs and a friend replied am going ahead in time, eager beaver watermark, settings f3.5, 1/640, iso 100, super macro zoom, 4pm sun, and yes fixed focal length at 6mm/ 28mm equiv

Jun thanks :)

Can you try the supermacro trick out of water and tell us how it works? :D

I just receive my XZ-1 about 30 minutes ago. The first thing I did was to put it in super macro and try to set the flash manually. It does not work. You are completely locked out of any strobe operation when in super macro.
On the plus side, the control dial will work with the PT-050 housing just fine. You wont be able to "scroll" by turning the wheel, but all operations still seem to be available using the left, right, up, down buttons.
I sent an e mail to Oly yesterday asking if they plan on addressing the super macro issue and I will post it if I ever hear back from them.

I just receive my XZ-1 about 30 minutes ago. The first thing I did was to put it in super macro and try to set the flash manually. It does not work. You are completely locked out of any strobe operation when in super macro.
On the plus side, the control dial will work with the PT-050 housing just fine. You wont be able to "scroll" by turning the wheel, but all operations still seem to be available using the left, right, up, down buttons.
I sent an e mail to Oly yesterday asking if they plan on addressing the super macro issue and I will post it if I ever hear back from them.

You know, a small light works really well for macro. Given the tiny distance, having a small light is sort of needed.

You know, a small light works really well for macro. Given the tiny distance, having a small light is sort of needed.

I always use a focus light. When even day dives are night dives up here in the Puget Sound a focus light is mandatory.

I heard back from Mike at Oly this morning. The good news is that he got back to me in a timely manner.
The bad news is that his e mail was useless. All he said was that I couldn't use the flash in super macro because I would be to close to the subject.........
I e mailed him back letting him know that he must have missed the point about why I needed the cameras flash to fire.

Back
Top Bottom