Review of the Nomad LT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the review.
I've been looking more info on the LT.

Mike D

It really is a nice system. But it depends completely on what you wanna do with sidemount.

This year there have been a lot of new entrees into the sidemount market.
My problem is I'm looking for the "perfect" sidemount rig, which may not exist.
I'm converting from backmount.
I'm using a modified-DR transpac for now.
I dive most of the time in a viking dry suit in great lakes & St Lawrence River.
But I do travel to the Yucatan once a year for vacation & cenote diving in a 3mm wetsuit.

Mike D

The Dive rite nomad is a nice rig with some Mods.
But I've switched to the Xdeep stealth 2.0 and also picked up one of Tiki_bill's 22 lbs wings
Now I'm good to go warm or cold water

This year there have been a lot of new entrees into the sidemount market.
My problem is I'm looking for the "perfect" sidemount rig, which may not exist.
I'm converting from backmount.
I'm using a modified-DR transpac for now.
I dive most of the time in a viking dry suit in great lakes & St Lawrence River.
But I do travel to the Yucatan once a year for vacation & cenote diving in a 3mm wetsuit.

Mike D

im a sidemount diver and also dive mainly in the st-lawrence or great lake with drysuit 90% of the time. i own a nomad xt and i like it. i did look at the nomad lt which i think would be awesome down south but up here i didnt like the small 21 pounds of lift since we do need usually more weight diving drysuit and my tanks are heavier than whats recommended by DR. however now they have a new nomad lt "extreme" that has 35lbs lift and optional backup bladder of i believe 22 pounds. it look more interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input Lafrules. That was my thoughts as well on the LT.
I'll check out the LT extreme. 35 lbs with aluminums in side mount, I think would be adequate.
I still have the transpac for back mount singles
I'm selling my OMS twin 98 steels, DR Double wing & plate this year ,I'm not getting to use them.

MikeD

This year there have been a lot of new entrees into the sidemount market. My problem is I'm looking for the "perfect" sidemount rig, which may not exist.
Maybe, the issue to be addressed is what you consider to be 'perfect'. What are the characteristics that you are looking for in perfection?

The 'perfect' sidemount rig is the one that works for you, in the environment(s) in which you are diving, that allows you to comfortably and capably dive with sidemounted cylinders while achieving optimal trim, streamlining, buoyancy control, etc. The beauty of sidemount rigs, even today with the continuing introduction of an increasing number of commercial rigs, is that there is still room for tweaking, and customization.

I like my transpac, but it's not quite there.
I dive Dry in Canada, & 3mm wet in Caribbean. So likely changeable wings.
Comfort & proper trim are top of list.
I want light weight for air travel.
Lastly I'd like to be able to dive a single cylinder, back mount, for those odd times I don't go caving.
I may be very close with a few more mods to my transpac.
I've added the butt plate, & removed back padding , but still don't like the shoulder harness, so I'm changing it to a std continuous 2" strap.
My rec wing has tethers to prevent tacoing, but this covers the rear D rings, so I"m looking for another wing.
I know a Do-it-all rig is not going to excell at any.

Mike D

I dive Dry in Canada, & 3mm wet in Caribbean. So likely changeable wings.
Comfort & proper trim are top of list.
I want light weight for air travel.
Lastly I'd like to be able to dive a single cylinder, back mount, for those odd times I don't go caving.
I know a Do-it-all rig is not going to excell at any.
Ah, I better understand your original comment. It sounds like you are looking for versatility in the rig, and your concern is not necessarily related specifically to only performance as a sidemount rig. Makes sense.
I like my transpac, but it's not quite there.
I may be very close with a few more mods to my transpac.
I've added the butt plate, & removed back padding , but still don't like the shoulder harness, so I'm changing it to a std continuous 2" strap.
My rec wing has tethers to prevent tacoing, but this covers the rear D rings, so I"m looking for another wing.
I have an 'original' Nomad, and ordered it with a dual bladder, so it is a bit heavier than units with a single bladder (and, in hindsight, I wouldn't do that again). So, the unit is essentially a Transpac, with a deluxe harness, with a buttplate attached, and with a Nomad wing. I removed the back padding, and the shoulder pads. But, I found that - for me - the harness works well, and is comfortable. I dive it wet or dry. I have traveled with it to the Caribbean and used it for sidemounting double AL80s. I can thread a single cam band through the back of the Transpac, or attach a STA for single cylinder, but the will would be overkill for a single cylinder. So, I picked up a Transpac II harness, fitted a DR Trekwing to it, added a buttplate, and I can dive it SM double AL80s, BM double AL80s, or single BM cylinders. I can also use it for singles although even the smaller 47 pound wing is a bit much. Just as with backmoliunt, trying to use one wing for both doubles and singles is probably a poor idea. It can be made to work, but the wing may not be optimal for either, so I am thinking of trying an even smaller wing to create a primarily warm water rig.

So, in the context of DevonDiver's original post in another thread, regarding adapter systems, I consider the Nomad to be an adapter rig, even though it was commercialized for sidemount, simply because the Transpac is versatile enough for singles and doubles, light enough for travel. However, I admit I had never thought about it that way, before he posted. And, your point about do-it-all rigs is a good one. My Nomad will never be a Razor. The Nomad - that is, the Transpac with a Nomad wing - is a heavier, cold water rig also quite suiitable for warm water, but not as light and streamlined as the minimalist rigs (Razor, etc.). And, those minimalist rigs are good warm water rigs which won't readily support double steel cylinders and deco bottles.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom