Review of the Cressi, Leonardo underwater dive computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do know you can adjust the leonardo to make it more or less conservative right? Not sure I get your multi dive, multi day question? I've used it like this countless times, with zero issues, and using nitrox is pretty straight forward , analyze your bottle, dial the percentage into the leonardo, and it gives the exact same mods as any other computer. I just dove Farnsworth bank on nitrox the same percentage as three other guys I was diving with all with different computers, and I was withing about 4 minutes on my deco to everyone else, not enough to sweat or care on a rec dive

I knew there were 2 more setting for more conservative diving. I checked that I was on the least conservative.

You need to read your manual.

Page 9: “WARNING: Currently, no validated scientific literature allows to dive more than twice a day for periods of one or more weeks without the risk of decompression sickness. For your own safety, it is important to avoid diving for more than two times a day. A rest of at least 2 hours between two subsequent dives is mandatory. The next/repetitive dive shall be shallower and its minimum duration shall be 15 minutes.”

It tells you, Avoid doing more then 2 days a day.
This makes it a bad DC for me, I like doing more then 2 dive a day. I also like to follow the rule that are made by the manufacturer of the device!

I am not cert for nitrox, so does not help me.

Bottom line: I was doing 4 day a day, with 8 other diver, other then the first dive of the day, I was pushing the DC to get all the bottom time I could get to stay with them. When you are running out of bottom time this DC make you go all the way to 19 feet before it will no longer put you into DECO.

If this computer matches the type diving you are doing and you are only doing a max of 2 dive a day then that great, and then I agree it is a DC for you. This DC did not match the type of diving that I was wanting to do and other were doing so it is a bad DC for me.

I hope that other will have the information to tell if this would be a good or bad DC choice for them.

The warning is just "legal mumbo jumbo" and is probably in the back pages of lots of dive computer manuals.....the facts are almost all of these computers work on similar algorithms. The computer doesn't care if you go up and down two times or ten times, it simply calculates your time at various depths, and your time at the surface. Anyone will be pretty hard pressed to do multiple dives to decent depth on air and not run into deco on dives 3-4 pretty quickly! Also is it something you read in the manual that said the deco time won't adjust as you go shallower?, because I've done it on multiple dives with this DC, and it works just fine

---------- Post added March 20th, 2015 at 04:04 PM ----------

I re read your post, and I believe what you mean by having to go to 19ft and do a prolonged safety stop is because you allowed yourself to go into deco. The idea is when you are running low on deco time you ascend . You don't allow yourself to go into deco, the leonardo was making you do a prolonged safety stop! If you would have started your ascent when you had 4 or 5 minutes left, often just coming up 5-10 feet adds all you need,as you got shallower your available deco time would have increased.....dive computers lock you out if you go into deco, that is how they are designed, sounds like it is working beautifully, albeit a little conservatively!

The warning is just "legal mumbo jumbo" and is probably in the back pages of lots of dive computer manuals.....the facts are almost all of these computers work on similar algorithms. The computer doesn't care if you go up and down two times or ten times, it simply calculates your time at various depths, and your time at the surface. Anyone will be pretty hard pressed to do multiple dives to decent depth on air and not run into deco on dives 3-4 pretty quickly! Also is it something you read in the manual that said the deco time won't adjust as you go shallower?, because I've done it on multiple dives with this DC, and it works just fine

---------- Post added March 20th, 2015 at 04:04 PM ----------

I re read your post, and I believe what you mean by having to go to 19ft and do a prolonged safety stop is because you allowed yourself to go into deco. The idea is when you are running low on deco time you ascend . You don't allow yourself to go into deco, the leonardo was making you do a prolonged safety stop! If you would have started your ascent when you had 4 or 5 minutes left, often just coming up 5-10 feet adds all you need,as you got shallower your available deco time would have increased.....dive computers lock you out if you go into deco, that is how they are designed, sounds like it is working beautifully, albeit a little conservatively!

We will just have to disagree about "legal mumbo jumbo" this is a safety device I do not get to pick and choose which warning I follow. If it was a hammer I would agree with you.

No, I did not normal go into deco, playing with this DC above 30 ft, I put into deco that only took 2 min to satisfied the committed . What I am saying, as I reached 2 minutes before going into deco, as the other 8 diver had more bottom time, I would start going up, as I came up the DC would give more time and when it got to 2 minutes again I would go up some more as the other diver were still on the bottom, I would continual to come up until 19 ft where it would not put me into deco ( at 20 ft it will put you into deco). Over the course of 20 dives the other diver stayed another 10 to 30 minutes, All the dive table that I have use would have let me play all day at 30 ft.
If this DC give you all the bottom time you want and need, great it will keep you safe. As for the diving that I want to do in Cozumel, it with just not do it on air. Other DC seem to do just fine in Cozumel with this kind of diving.

jscan1 mabee Cressi is now using an new RGBM we dont know, but Asteve does

just to make it clear if we take it like this you cant trust NO decompression model (no tables no computer)
because they are all generic and dont take in consideration your weight / fat

and of course if you are well or not well hydrated.

We will just have to disagree about "legal mumbo jumbo" this is a safety device I do not get to pick and choose which warning I follow. If it was a hammer I would agree with you.

Other DC seem to do just fine in Cozumel with this kind of diving.

Well, I'd do you a big favour and take it off your hands for the cost of postage and handling -- which, going by your description of it, is way more than it's worth -- but unfortunately I already have one and don't need another.

Well, I'd do you a big favour and take it off your hands for the cost of postage and handling -- which, going by your description of it, is way more than it's worth -- but unfortunately I already have one and don't need another.

I can understand you not needing another one.
04.gif
:rofl3:

I just spent two weeks diving with someone using a Leonardo, between 2 and 5 dives a day with only one day off in the middle. Their Leonardo and my Petrel were never a limiting issue. Every DC manual I've ever read has similar warnings in them. It's too bad you're having issues but it may not just be the computer.

Don't ever buy a rebreather!!

1939564_10203028437853662_638115042_o.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom