Review of Stingray + Housing/Sony CX520

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I thought I'd take a few minutes and give my take on my recently upgraded Stingray + Housing used with the Sony CX520 camcorder while in Bonaire last week.

When L&M began to offer upgraded handles for the Stingray + housing that would allow "one touch" MWB with the Sony CX500/520 model camcorder, I sent in my handles and ordered the cam. The one thing that was missing with the Stingray + line of housings was the ability to do MWB. Well that's not the case any longer.

Last week the housing and camcorder performed flawlessly. I did have one slight problem turning the camera on in the housing a few times but that was user error on my part and Amy at Light & Motion told me what to do to correct it. I needed to flip the LCD screen out and then lay it back against the camera. Once I did that the problem was solved.

With the new handles, you have total access to all the menus in the camcorder. Not that you really need to use many of them on a dive but they are there if you need/want them. The left handle control was easy to use to gain access to the menus. It never once skipped a command. The left handle also controls the lights and I have the Sunray 1000 LED's and it was no problem to turn the lights on, dim them through the three light levels, and turn them off.

The right handle is where you find the MWB button and it really is a quick press and in just a few seconds, it's done! With the Sony CX520 camcorder inside, it was able to WB at 70 ft. with no problem. I never really tried it much deeper than that but will in May when I go to Little Cayman. But it never failed to achieve a MWB whenever I pressed that little button. I had a while slate clipped on and just did a WB off of that. I have read where folks that shoot with the HC7/9's can't get a WB much below 30 to 40 ft. maybe. The CX series is far superior. I would guess it's the improved low light capability that allows a WB to much greater depths.

It will be awhile before I can post any video because I head out of town tomorrow for a few weeks but what a difference WB makes! I've seen all these folks talking about it here and how you really need it and I was always saying, "It's not that big of a difference" but I was wrong. It's night and day folks but I'm probably preaching to the choir to most of you.

The unit with the battery pods and lights is certainly negative in the water but for me, it was fine. I could see how some people might want a flotation device to help offset that and they do make one for the Stingray housing. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference handling the unit would be uw with the added flotation but like I said, I think it's fine without it.

The screen is great on the back and I had no problem viewing what I was filming at any angle. (Assuming you can see the screen of course.) You can adjust the color and brightness of the screen but I've not messed with that much. I think I left it like it came. Looks good to me.

All in all I couldn't be more pleased with my combo. I think this system will serve me for many years to come and really has all the essential features a person could ask for. I know we all have our opinions and I haven't looked at all the other systems on the market (but I did some before I bought) but I can't imagine a better system for the money than the Stingray + housing. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to step up to uw video.

One more thing I will mention is the camcorder and how you record. I was a little reluctant in switching from the tape based system to a hard drive/flash media system. But now I think it's great. On my three hour flight from Bonaire to Miami I pulled out the camcorder, reviewed my clips, and when I saw one I didn't like, DELETE! I know this will save me time when I start the editing process to have already deleted the obvious clips that don't belong.

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my review.

Last edited:
Most of the folks that say you don't need MWB have never had it. Once you use it you understand how much of a difference it makes, and editing is much easier too. Sounds like a great combo you have. I'm happy with my old A1U and Amphibico housing, but maybe someday.....

Looking forward to your video. I've been to Bonaire twice, and always had a great time... wish I was there now.

Hey BDSC, what is the actual procedure for using MWB via the right handle, do you have a customized button, point it at your white source, and press once? Is there a series of button presses required? Also, how much did the handle upgrade cost, and what did it consist of? I don't see any of that info on Light & Motion's website for the stingray+. Thanks!

Hey BDSC, what is the actual procedure for using MWB via the right handle, do you have a customized button, point it at your white source, and press once? Is there a series of button presses required? Also, how much did the handle upgrade cost, and what did it consist of? I don't see any of that info on Light & Motion's website for the stingray+. Thanks!

It's just as you said at first. I had a white slate clipped to my BC. Just put the slate in front of the lens, press the WB button just once, and it's automatic. Just one press of one button is all.

The upgrade of my handles was $600 or $700 I think it was but that was for both the left and right handle. Don't know what it would be if it were just one, the right handle, or if you do the upgrade you may have to do both. Just not sure. It's the left handle that gives you full access to all the menus in the camcorder. I just sent the handles to them and had them back in less than two weeks.

Don't know why it's taking them so long to upgrade their website. :shakehead:

Any chance for some footage? I bought the camera to replace an aging Sony PC350, but haven't decided yet on the housing.

Possible candidates:
- Upgrade my current Equinox Housing
- Stingray+
- Patima Smart 2

The Equinox is a bunch cheaper, the Stingray+ has the one-key MWB, and the Patima has manual WB, Focus, etc...

Dirk

I'll try and throw up a little something soon. Right when I returned from Bonaire I had to go crawl around in a nuclear plant for two weeks and just got home today. Then it's off to our nuc plant in SC for the same thing. But I'll work on some of it this weekend.

I can't comment on the other housings but I really like the Stingray +. Very satisfied with it and the way it handles uw. I would think that it will be able to be used with many of the future Sony CX series camcorders and that gives a lot of options. When the new ones come out the prices will drop on the ones like mine and mine was great. Already thinking about another one as a back-up.

Back
Top Bottom