Trip Report Review of Princess Basma (agency My Sun Dreams) scuba liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MightyDuck

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We spent a week travelling and diving in Egypt on the ship Princess Basma of My Sun Dreams agency, so I'll write a quick review, because I haven1t found anywere before except on a german site.
The ship is the usual liveaboard ship, cabins at the bottom, dive deck and lounge-dining area in the middle, a few more cabins and "terraces" above, and a sun deck at the top.
Supposedly the boat has undergone a complete rebuild in the last year, but unfortunately there is little evidence of this. The paintwork is cracking badly, especially on the settees at the bow, but the exterior tables are also showing the signs of age, as the occasionally falling out cabin windows (at least one), broken air conditioning vents, and the wooden floor of the diving deck that is bouncing up, or just simply fallen out. Overall, not too bad, but definitely not freshly rebuilded.

Unfortunately, these were only minor problems, the most serious problem was with the condition of the engines, because one of the two engines simply failed, so we didn't even got to the planned Tiran 8only to Ras Mohamed), because we had to wait a whole day in Hurghada in the port for the repair, and then the "repaired" engine broke down again after half a day on route...
We don't know whether it was because of the engine or the crew that for example made it impossible to moor at Thislegorm (only further away with only 4 boats stationed there), or when the only way to hoist the anchor was to use a winch of a foreign ship after our entire crew had gone over there.
In addition, the generators were not up to the task either, we constantly had to choose between filling the cylinders and using the air conditioning. Something was also wrong with the electronic system, as not only some sockets were shocking (on the diving decks), but also the whole length of the railing on the back terrace.
The food was ok, both in quality and quantity, maybe it could be better if there would be meat and fish at every meal, it happened more than once that those who don't like fish can't eat anything except rice, because even the salad is fishy.

Unfortunately the crew is also half-hearted, the initial engine difficulties were hushed up, the main culprit was the military command in port (which can happen anyway), then it turned out that the engine was not working, and even after arriving at 8 o'clock on Saturday evening, they were still loading the ingredients for the meals that had just arrived on Sunday afternoon. As it turned out, they were so unprepared for the meal that not only was the cook not on the ship, but the freshly ordered pizza did not arrive until midnight, after waiting for about 4 hours.

To mitigate the problems we were offered unlimited dives, but this was never more than three a day (plus an optional evening) due to the boat and crew, as either the boat did not arrive on time or the bottles were not filled in time. That said, usually, on other boats there are 4 dives in Egypt plus an optional night, so unfortunately the number of dives was not what was expected. Let alone the promised "unlimited" :(

And one last word: The nitrox varied randomly from 24% to 35% percent (from the planned 28% for MOD of 40 meter), while the pressure was more consistent between 170 bar (which is quite low...) and 220 bar.

Not the worst liveaboard in Egypt, but something was very off with both the ship and the crew too. :( At least we did about the 75% of the planned route, there was times when we couldn't really hoped it...

Thanks very much for sharing the experience, the good and the bad.

Can I ask why you chose this particular boat? It's not a name a recognise from liveaboard.com or travel.padi.com

Thanks for posting a report, I think I will avoid this boat in the future! Sounds like lots of areas need improvement. I hope the diving you did was good.

Sorry to read about your troubles and the failures on the boat. It is definitely one to avoid. Why your agency didn't know about the condition of the boat and advise you against using it?

Our usual diving center’s backup plan was to use this boat (our usual one was taken), this boat is operated from Germany (hence it’s usually unknown to divers from US) and they know the operator. I think they didnt know well enough…

I’m quite pragmatic about any liveaboard, not there to live luxury life above the water, I’m quite happy with a basic level of quality od life, just let me dive there and as much as planned and I’m mostly happy. Said that this was too much to ask this time.

Thanks for the candid report. It seems like every day I hear of a Red Sea LOB company that I have never heard of before. Either there are hundreds or I am not that saavy.

Which itinerary did you dive?

Which itinerary did you dive?
The planned was the "classic" nothern route from Hurghada to Ras Mohammed and Tiran.
We got to Thistlegorm, Jackfish Valley, Shark&Yolanda, but didn't got to Tiran, because of the lost day(s).

Hello,
I´ve been reading this forum for a while now, however this is going to be my first time writing. Sorry for my english, not my language. I´ve been in Princes Basma in 2015 and (how funny) we were also told that it had undergone a complete rebuilt the year before.... And it was obvious that that was not true.
We book this boat because this was a trip organized directly by a friend who had been working as a dive guide many years before and somehow he belief the renovation was true. We chosed the route and book it two weeks in a row. It was surpinsingly cheap....

The boat was awful. The air compresor had some kind of malfuntion and the air tasted like oil. All week. The first days we had no nitrox and when they finaly "cooked" the mixture, we realised that the analysers didn`t match; one will tell you you have nitrox 27 and the other one nitrox 32. We even tried one from other boat. At the end we decided we didn`t trust the analysers and dive with air. We also mised dives, because of the constant failures of the compresor.

Food was ok, repetive. The crew were not happy, and this meant that they were not helpful. Also, they stole a lot of cigarretes...

Last week we went to another liveaboard in the Red Sea, i told to one of the diveguides about Princes Basma and, aparently it has a reputation.

It`s been 7 years and it seems that nothing had changed. Do not book this boat.

Experiences with the Princess Basma Diving Boat, Red Sea

In early 2023, we arranged a week of diving in the Red Sea. Our Egyptian organizer had trouble finding an available boat. Eventually, he proposed the Princess Basma. As the online reviews of this boat from 2020 were negative, we alerted him to the issues. He further spoke with the boat owner, who assured him that all the deficiencies had been addressed.

On October 21, 2023, we boarded the Princess Basma in Marsa Alam. The initial impression was that it was an old and poorly maintained boat.

The dining salon was decent, and the food was quite good – in fact, the best part of the boat.

The upper deck, used as a common area, was spacious with suitable couches. However, the usual water dispenser for hot or cold water, glasses, and drink shelves were absent. If someone wanted a drink or coffee, they had to go downstairs to the dining salon.

There was only one water dispenser present, which was extremely dirty.

In my cabin, the door handle on the inside was broken. In another cabin, the doors couldn't be opened from the inside at times.

The water in the washing and shower system was mostly dirty brown.

Now, let's address more significant problems. We were the last boat to depart from Marsa Alam on the first day, so we didn't have any dives on that day. We regularly delayed our morning departures for diving because the crew struggled to anchor the boat to the reef. They usually took 45 to 60 minutes to anchor the boat. Once, the captain made a mistake in identifying the reef we were supposed to visit.

However, these were all minor issues compared to the following:

1. The second engine on the boat quickly broke down (if it was even working when we started).
  2. Both of the two zodiacs were often out of order, and around halfway through the week, they brought another motor from somewhere, so we had only one functioning zodiac. Once, we went for a dive with one zodiac full of divers pulling another zodiac full of divers.
  3. The next problem was that the electrical current was connected to all the metal parts, causing electric shocks on the stairs and, especially, when hanging the suits for drying. They addressed this problem by turning off the generator when we went on the deck.
Due to all these issues, we agreed with our Egyptian organizer not to go South towards St. John. We stayed near Marsa Alam.

Lastly, as we disembarked on the last day, they brought a load of groceries for the next group of unlucky individuals who would embark on a cruise with the malfunctioning boat.

In conclusion, the Princess Basma boat should be avoided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom