Review of 5d/5n Burma Liveaboard Dive Trip with AICD (Based in Ranong, Thailand)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a very good prescription of the western rocky tunnel:

Diving in Burma - Western Rocky

and here of shark cave:

Dive Mergui Archipelago - Shark Cave

While at least a glimmer of daylight is usually visible from any point inside the tunnel of western rocky, this is an advanced dive because of its depth and distance between openings. The lower cavern of shark cave is more difficult in my opinion, because it is so narrow and you can go only one after the other in a small group. The sharks inside are not there anymore.
It would be interesting and worth knowing what is the opinion of other divemasters: Do advanced divers need a special cavern education to dive here, need of cavern and cave courses ?

I don't think either party involved come out of this in a very good light. Having read about this on several forums (it would seem that the OP is doing everything within his power to ruin this particular DC's reputation) I would certainly avoid AIDC when planning any future Liveaboard trip in the area. Having said that I sincerely hope that I never have the misfortune to be on the same boat as the OP and his wife!:shakehead:

Here is a very good prescription of the western rocky tunnel:

Diving in Burma - Western Rocky

and here of shark cave:

Dive Mergui Archipelago - Shark Cave

While at least a glimmer of daylight is usually visible from any point inside the tunnel of western rocky, this is an advanced dive because of its depth and distance between openings. The lower cavern of shark cave is more difficult in my opinion, because it is so narrow and you can go only one after the other in a small group. The sharks inside are not there anymore.
It would be interesting and worth knowing what is the opinion of other divemasters: Do advanced divers need a special cavern education to dive here, need of cavern and cave courses ?
I'm not a DM, I'm just a diver. I am "advanced" in the sense that I have a 2 star certification (AOW) but I can't really claim to be advanced as I've only done a little over 100 dives.

I would not consider the conditions you describe as suitable for any open water diver, advanced or not, experienced or not. Do I understand correctly, we're talking of a 20m long tunnel through which you can go only in single file? That sounds extremely dangerous to me. Of course when nothing goes wrong it's fine but if something does go wrong what are you gonna do? Say you have gear failure of sorts and you need to get to your buddy's octo? How are you going to do that?

I don't know a great deal about cave diving but I believe this is the reason most cave divers use long hoses on their regulators so that their buddy can swim behind them (or in front) while breathing off their regulator. I don't even know what other provisions they make but that's just the point, as someone without a cave diving certification, I'm not qualified to dive in caves. Not only do I not know how to deal with certain problems that might arise, I don't even know what the problems are that might arise.

But with all of this, I fear we are derailing the thread. I still hope that Preben will answer my original questions so hopefully all this peripheral talk doesn't shift the focus of the thread.

Yes, Thai Diver, I hope that too. A single diver or his wife can destroy the whole atmosphere on board and ruin the reputation of a DC. I would dive again with AIDC.

For my part, I will conclude this discussion by reiterating some of the facts that I stated in my original review, and which the replies in support of this deplorable organization failed to address specifically. Statements such as "I cannot recognise any of it" or "I must reject all what pipefish wrote" are easily made, but do not resolve any of these issues, as some of you have already noted. For those who followed this discussion, here are the plain facts once again:

1. We would normally have taken M-sized wetsuits, but found that the ones in the dive shop were too small. We were explained that they were "Asian sizes". There was only one L-size wetsuit in the dive shop, which did not properly fit either, but was more comfortable than the too small M. All the wetsuits were ripped at the bum (we sewed one of the big holes ourselves).

2. AIDC operates the MV Thai Sea, which has 2 upper deck and 6 lower deck cabins accommodating 2 people each. All are the same price, despite considerable differences in comfort. We were assigned one of the lower deck cabins directly above the engine. The cabin stank of diesel fuel, and one could actually look at the engine through cm-wide slits in the wooden boards below our mattresses. The boat was full, so we could not change to another cabin. It was not possible for us to sleep in our assigned cabin due to the bad smell and noise. We would spend the nights outside, on the upper sun deck, but the maximum time of sleep we could catch was 5 hours per night due to winds, and waves splashing on the deck. During the day, unfortunately, there was no place to retreat to for the so much needed rest between dives. We were promised to have engines and generator shut down for the nights when the boat was anchored and not moving to the next dive site, but after the first night other customers complained about the heat without the generator-powered fans, so the generator was never swiched off again at night. We were boldly told that we could rest after our return to Ranong.

3. The instructor was assigned to lead us and two other divers. On our first dive, my wife found that she required an additional weight, so we resurfaced after seconds. The instructor did not check for us until he reached 10 meters depth. Although he apparently resurfaced to look for us, he failed to locate us.

4. During some of our dives, we also heard the sounds of close-by dynamite fishing, and we found most reefs in a deplorable state, being heavily damaged (broken and dead) by the devastating dynamite explosions.

5. For night dives, we were handed one torch each, and when asking if this was considered sufficient, the instructor joked about how we would be unable to handle 5 torches. One of our lights promptly failed underwater and one of us was handed the instructor's torch. Now we had a dive guide without a light... We had one more torch in our group on the next night dive, when, funnily, two of them failed.

6. In the evenings, some of the divers on board showed their dive videos, some of which contained scenes like forcefully pulling a distressed moray out of its hiding place, or cutting off a starfish's leg to feed a harlekin shrimp, all to the great amusement of many including the AIDC management and staff.

7. The boat was delayed for 2 days due to engine problems. Of course this can happen. However, there was no apology from AIDC, and no offer of a compensation for lost holiday time.

Note that my wife is a divemaster with over 200 dives, and I am a rescue diver with over 150 dives. We are diving regularly together, since 2002. I would not consider us as beginners.
The discussion of diving Shark cave is interesting. We opted not to dive the cave as we did not feel that cave diving should be done without proper preparation and gear. We were told the swimthough was optional. I have not problems with this aspect of the trip, it's up to the individual divers to decide if they want to take that risk.

I do have a problem with the 7 points above, which were not specifically addressed in any of the replies. These are facts, and for this organization to be considered reputable, these issues should be taken care of. Thus, it is not me who is aiming to ruin a dive operator's reputation, although I would certainly strongly advice against diving with AIDC. AIDC does not have a good reputation. There were no reviews of AIDC to be found on the internet before we went. Dive operators are earning their reputation over time. AIDC has managed to earn a bad one, and it's up to them to change this now. Given the operator's replies, it appears that they are not going to make efforts to improve. So once again: You have been warned, but if you feel lucky, do take your chance and dive with AIDC.

Guitarfish, now you are getting repetitive and just plain boring... You've made your point (over and over on several other furums as well as this one). Get over it and move on. YAWN :bored2:

Not quite sure what your intentions are Guitarfish (Pipefish in the others) but I think you have made your point. You should however learn to accept that other people may have a different view and experiences than yourself, as in any other way of life. I also think that the readers of your ongoing verbal onslaught ( in at least 5 different forums under different names) can make their own decision. AIDC has existed for a number of years now and if they were as terrible as you want to make them this would have rumoured in the diving community by now.

The beauty of these forums are that anybody can have their say and be respected for that. A comparison may be Tripadvisor in the hotel world where readers can make their choice after reading several different opinions of the same hotel. The beauty of democracy and respect for opinions of others.

Guitarfish, now you are getting repetitive and just plain boring... You've made your point (over and over on several other furums as well as this one). Get over it and move on. YAWN :bored2:

I read through this entire thread and my view is to say that the only thing that is "boring, YAWN" are the replies from people who are attacking the motive of the OP. If folks have nothing to add but attacking the reviewer, then I kindly suggest that they refrain from posting in a thread they are "bored with, YAWN" and stop reading it. What is offensive, is not Guitarfish or his opinion, but the folks who add no value and complain the post is boring and add no value to the topic. This is Guitarfish's thread, LOL

Not quite sure what your intentions are Guitarfish (Pipefish in the others) but I think you have made your point. You should however learn to accept that other people may have a different view and experiences than yourself, as in any other way of life. I also think that the readers of your ongoing verbal onslaught ( in at least 5 different forums under different names) can make their own decision. AIDC has existed for a number of years now and if they were as terrible as you want to make them this would have rumoured in the diving community by now.

The beauty of these forums are that anybody can have their say and be respected for that. A comparison may be Tripadvisor in the hotel world where readers can make their choice after reading several different opinions of the same hotel. The beauty of democracy and respect for opinions of others.

Yes, that is right; and as folks feels inclined to question Guitarfish's motives, he certainly has a right to post a reply without being told to "shut up" or "enough is enough". If you have some positive experience with the dive center, please post it; but don't attack, indirectly or directly, the motive of the customer who had a bad experience.

As folks have commented, and also as I read the Thailand forums, it is mostly full of self-promoting dive center operators; and anyone who is a diver who shares a negative experience is highly criticized, but if you say "Thailand is great" you are "in the club" and accepted.

Guitarfish, I think your post is great. I am a diver like you, currently diving outside of Thailand, but dive in Thailand often. Don't let others silence you or marginalize your opinion. As a paying customer, you have a right to your opinion and I think your trip report was honest and accurate based on your experience as a diver. Sorry you had a bad experience and hope you will have a better one soon

Any minute now, I think this thread might just get a little personal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom