Review: Big Blue CB15000P 15,000 Lumen COB Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackConnick

Jack Connick
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
JackConnick A new article has been posted

Review: Big Blue CB15000P 15,000 Lumen COB Light

Jackand-WhaleShark2.jpg

Continue reading the Original Article.

Attachments

• Jackand-WhaleShark2.jpg
    Jackand-WhaleShark2.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 184
After seeing a presentation at TEKDIVEUSA in Orlando last year by Pete Mesley, I bought two Bigblue 15K lights, mine are the VL15000PPMTC models. I had the same approach after seeing some of Pete's work in wrecks : use the lights, continuously on, for both still photos and video. I have been using mine for about a year now with a Canon G-15 rig and an Olympus TG-5 rig. Testing to the FL-1 standard on wetestlights.com (admittedly a site setup by a competing light manufacturer) shows a pretty rapid falloff in lumens over time, and a measured beam angle considerably less than the advertised specs. Notwithstanding 'specmanship' I've been really happy with the results. I have my two lights on ULCS-and-ball-joint arms to help deal with backscatter and shadows; I'm mostly shooting the TG-5 with 4K video selected; and when I want to take a still I'm using the same settings that I've entered for the 4K video. I'm using my strobes less and less. And as mentioned in this review, I have the sense that at least some creatures will come over and take a good look at the lights....
The video clip and the still photo from the same camera with the same light / settings; drift dives in Jupiter.

Scorpioin fish face portrait (1 of 1).jpg

And to add a photo taken by someone else of the rig.....this photo courtesy of Kona Aggressor's crew photographer/videographer Morgan while I was attempting to use the red LED's on the same lights together with a Sola NightSea dark blue light at night with the Manta's....

DAVID RED LIGHT MANTA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom