Reverse block

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jewel's L

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I did a bad thing. I was teaching class last night with a very minor head cold. Not one that I thought was bad enough for any medication but I managed to get a reverse block. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the Pharmacist recommendation of Musinex D and pinching your nose while inhaling?
Thanks Jewel's

Decongestants have a pretty minor effect on this. Assuming that the diagnosis is correct (did you see an ENT doc or someone who could look in your ear), basic insufflation techniques to re-ventilate the ear will help with middle ear barotrauma.

The valsalva technique (pinching the nose and blowing) can be done gently. The Toynbee technique is also helpful (pinching your nose and swallowing). There are a few other maneuvers that people do to help their Eustachian tubes work better (jaw opening, moving the jaw back and forth, etc...

Pinching your nose while inhaling will have no effect on middle ear ventilation.

Mike

Thank you doctormike. I got the pinching my nose and inhaling for the Encylopedia of Diving. I can feel movement and there is no pain. No I have not seen a Dr. but I have done this a few times in the distant past.

Thank you doctormike. I got the pinching my nose and inhaling for the Encylopedia of Diving. I can feel movement and there is no pain. No I have not seen a Dr. but I have done this a few times in the distant past.

Interesting... I guess that they meant pinching your nose and trying to inhale while keeping your mouth open (this will provide some negative pressure in the back of the nose). I though that you just meant pinching your nose and inhaling through your mouth...!

:)

I get that after doing about 50 free dives in a day. Only in my left ear and I can tell it's coming on when I hear the "squeeling" sound as I ascend.
I'm usually a bit dehydrated at that point also because, although I understand the importance of proper hydration, I get excited and forget sometimes.....a few times....ok, a LOT of times, to take a long drink of water when I bring a fish to the boat.
I don't have sinus infections and find that usually after a few hours, it will just "squeak" and release the pressure down my Eustachian tubes and clear.

I DID have a sinus infection though about 7 years ago and had it clog up. I would do the sucking and pinching but it would go too far !. hah. Then I'd have to Frenzel it back out with a touch....to stop before it went too far and I couldn't hear well.

Time....finally it went away. But when your ear drum is pushed out, you get dizzy, no? I hate that when I'm ascending. Good luck. It will pass.

Thank you Hank. I only do this in my right. I did get VERY dizzy and I was only in the pool. I have a very difficult time ascending slowly in the pool.
docmike I do think that you are correct in the fact tha I need to go to see my doc. I do not believe that this will be resolved if I have a sinus infection. I have tried the Mucinex D and there has been no change. I do not really think that a sinus rinse would really be a good idea as i could push more yuck into my tubes. I have also done that before. Since nothing has worked today I am sure that may be the case. What is your thought on the possibility of forcing more stuff into my ears?

Thank you Hank. I only do this in my right. I did get VERY dizzy and I was only in the pool. I have a very difficult time ascending slowly in the pool.
docmike I do think that you are correct in the fact tha I need to go to see my doc. I do not believe that this will be resolved if I have a sinus infection. I have tried the Mucinex D and there has been no change. I do not really think that a sinus rinse would really be a good idea as i could push more yuck into my tubes. I have also done that before. Since nothing has worked today I am sure that may be the case. What is your thought on the possibility of forcing more stuff into my ears?

Well, using the Toynbee maneuver (pinching and swallowing) or the other maneuver where you pinch and inhale, you shouldn't be at risk of pushing any debris up your Eustachian tubes into your ears, since the pressure gradient would be out of your ears....

Just try these gently... if you have any ear pain, just stop.

A nasal rinse like a neti-pot is also a pretty safe thing to do, as long as you use sterile water: Neti-Pot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom