Reverse Bezel Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why bother ?
whats wrong with the standard one ?

they still work even in the southern hemisphere

boomx5, if I may try to clarify, I think what you are referring to is more commonly known as an Indirect Reading Compass versus a Direct Reading Compass.

The degree bearings on a direct-reading compass ascend in a clockwise direction and the course heading aligns with the lubber line, while the degree bearings of an indirect-reading compass read 0-360 degrees in a counterclockwise direction and the course aligns with the north end of the needle or card.

I prefer reverse bezel. It is what I have always used for both land and water nav. Personal preference, just understand which one you are using.

Well..... I *have* a reverse bezel compass but I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I personally don't think the numbering matters much as long as you know what system you're using.

It turns out the reverse bezel compasses are preferred by DIR (was this your underlying question?) because GI has one. The reason he gives for using that particular compass (a suunto) as far as I know had to do with readability. There may be other reasons too but these have evidently evolved with time..... Anyway, the reverse-bezel thing likely got into DIR just because he wanted everyone in the same gear. Afterall if you dive in a team it's a good idea to all have the same way of reading a heading ......

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom