Return to film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After shooting exclusively digital for the last 4 or 5 years, I pulled out my old, “big iron” film cameras for our last trip to GCM. You know, Nikon bodies with sportsfinders and 20mm lenses behind huge domes. Shooting chromes, Ektachrome Pro 100G and Velvia 50.

All I can say is, OMG.

I was shocked. Vivid color saturation…impossibly smooth gradients…detail in the highlights and shadows. Incredible, tack sharp resolution, especially from the “ancient” 55mm Macro. There were other minor details, like a huge, bright viewfinder (courtesy of the sportsfinder) and real wide angle. Oh, yes, you can actually shoot toward the surface and get detail and colors in the bright areas….

It was both a revelation, and like coming home to an old friend. If all we’d ever had was digital, and someone invented this, it would be hailed as a breakthrough.

I know what’s coming next, all the comments about the (very) few camera models with huge chips, available for princely sums. After laying hands on them, my experience is that their output is film-like, not better than film. And anyway, the reason I wrote this was to express my reverse-culture-shock from returning to film.

What an experience! A return to film * shakes head * who’d have thunk it?

All the best, James

All right now James, I'm currently changing from film to digital and you aren't helping matters any! :D

I know what you mean...I used a film camera the other day ( hadn't planned on diving that day) and being able to click and have the camera click at the same time, just great.

We've been waiting for you. Are you thinking about trying out some B&W in the near future so you can get even better texture and resolution???

Brian

What's interesting is that I had the opposite reaction. My digital died and I went back to film and did not like it at all, way to contrasty, unforgiving, time consuming and expensive. I did appreciate the detail and color saturation, but way to much work, just crank up the saturation and sharpening.

fdog:
After shooting exclusively digital for the last 4 or 5 years, I pulled out my old, “big iron” film cameras for our last trip to GCM. You know, Nikon bodies with sportsfinders and 20mm lenses behind huge domes. Shooting chromes, Ektachrome Pro 100G and Velvia 50.

All I can say is, OMG.

I was shocked. Vivid color saturation…impossibly smooth gradients…detail in the highlights and shadows. Incredible, tack sharp resolution, especially from the “ancient” 55mm Macro. There were other minor details, like a huge, bright viewfinder (courtesy of the sportsfinder) and real wide angle. Oh, yes, you can actually shoot toward the surface and get detail and colors in the bright areas….

It was both a revelation, and like coming home to an old friend. If all we’d ever had was digital, and someone invented this, it would be hailed as a breakthrough.

I know what’s coming next, all the comments about the (very) few camera models with huge chips, available for princely sums. After laying hands on them, my experience is that their output is film-like, not better than film. And anyway, the reason I wrote this was to express my reverse-culture-shock from returning to film.

What an experience! A return to film * shakes head * who’d have thunk it?

All the best, James

I'm lucky after seeing digital I decided to stay with film for the same reasons that you gave. I know have a Nikonos V that I use for macro and a Cannon 20mm and 28-80mm in a sea & sea housing, sea and sea strobes.

Thanks for letting people know that digital isn't the only way to go!

I, personally, won't go back to film for most things - if ever - but my best dive bud won't go digital. Each to their own and both are awesome ways to capture a little bit of the magnificent experiences we all have underwater and beyond!

That’s probably why UW magazine still accept only pictures taken from film camera and not digital.

I have a Nikonos IV given from my father a couple of years ago and used only twice. Unfortunately no external strobe. So imagine the picture if not taken within the 5 m depth…

For what I will do with the pictures, the cost of developing, and the fact that you can take as many pictures as your memory card can hold, I still will invest in the next couple of week in a nice digital camera plus housing.

If then I really enjoy taken pictures under water and results are not so bad I will then also invest in the external strobe.

I am too lazy for film camera…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom