Retractor Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trekkindave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My dear wife and dive buddy is purchasing my a gopro for my birthday next weekend in anticipation of going on our Cruise this october to Grand Cayman and Cancun. My question is simple. I would like to get a retractor with carabiner and quick disconnect for use on dive excursions. Can anyone recommend a "retractor force" that I should be looking for to keep the gopro secure while out of the water?

+1 on the coil lanyard.

One thing I really dislike about retractors, is the constant tension on the camera. If I remove one hand to adjust a light or something, my camera tends to twist in my hand.

when I first started taking a camera, I used a retractor. Soon after, I switched to a coil lanyard. However, now I am comfortable enough that I just hold my camera without a leash, and have a bolt snap tied to it, so I can clip it off if necessary.

Nix the retractor.

Just don't do it.

One low cost, high security approach is to use one of the cheap plastic coil lanyards, but then cover it with gutted 550 cord. That gives you the strength and security of the braided outer core of the 550 cord, but the coil/retractor action of the coil lanyard.

Here is what I use to fasten my camera to my harness D-ring:
9c2de7eeb9a00fa4b8f0842af8f9ca52.image.83x160.jpg
Well, that and a bit if nylon rope. It takes as long for me to un-clip the camera as it takes someone to extend a camera on a retractor. It really isn't hard and it is very secure. And, unlike with a retractor, I won't be able to accidentally wrap an extended camera around the stairs of the boat while I am climbing aboard... See the clip at Swivel Bolt Snap, Medium [SBS-M] - $6.75 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!.

All expensive coils.. Your GoPro, with a tray or any other rig, should be very light, specially underwater. I use one of those coil key-chains sold at Home Depot, Lowes or even Walmart. Costs 2-3 bucls.

Lucky Line 41601 Designer Key Coil : Amazon.com : Automotive

I clip it to my D-ring and when out of the water, I hook the ring on the tray in the same clip that is connected to the D-ring.

As a side note, the rings are not stainless so they will rust eventually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom