Retracted Eardrum & Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like he may be ruling out a cholesteatoma or tumor with the referral. I good idea but I would take your lack of other worrisome symptoms as a good sign. And an ENT should be able to see a cholesteatoma in the office. There would only be drainage if the eardrum had been perforated.

Surgery would likely only be needed if he/she saw a tumor (surgical removal) or the retraction was chronic and causing problems (tubes).

No problems with equalising, or rather popping my ears as I'm not allowed to dive

Hard to say over the internet but could it have been wax that he removed from the canal? Sometimes, if it is stubborn, a little superficial adherent skin may come away too.

He did say skin. He assumed it was wax to begin with, but after much suction and tweezer action he said it was skin.

Sounds like a bit of a mystery. I really don't have anything to add but would be interested in hearing a follow up after your surgical evaluation.

Ste Wart, any update? Are you back to diving?

Ste Wart, any update? Are you back to diving?

So far I've only had a more thorough Audiology exam. Both Air and Bone tests were conducted, my hearing has improved markedly over the past few months (but I could have told you that!), but there is still a touch of hearing loss and the tinnitus is still with me, but really only background now.
I started diving with an IST ProMax Mask back at the start of May with no ill effect. There is an occasional sensation, not pain, when ascending and I have to equalize to stop this. I'm still waiting for an appointment with the ENT though.
One upshot is that I spoke to the Diving Diseases and Research Centre near me and they stated that the damage was not sustained through diving, which is some relief. So I would hazard to say it was done in the gym.

Glad to hear that your hearing is improving and that you are able to dive. I've heard good things about the ProEar Mask.

Glad to hear that your hearing is improving and that you are able to dive. I've heard good things about the ProEar Mask.

It's handy that's for sure. Although the guys from the LDS have christened it the 'Princess Leia' mask

Finally got to see an ENT yesterday with less than stellar results.

So my tinnitus and mild hearing loss is due to a large retracted pocket in my right ear which is sitting on one of the ear bones. Any surgery will not improve hearing, if anything it will make it worse. That said it will repair the eardrum. I forget the name of the procedure, Tympanoplasty might be the one.

Although, the Surgeon stuck me with a few caveats. At the moment he doesn't know if the condition is static or deteriorating so he wants to see me again in three months to assess the situation. If it gets worse and I start getting ear infections then I go under the knife. However he made it very clear that if there were any complications in surgery (i.e he slips with the knife) my eardrum could be permanently damaged and so diving could be out.

On the other hand, as I can valsalva effortlessly, I can still dive with his blessing. But he said that exposing my ear to the marine environment could exacerbate the likelihood of infection, which could bring on surgery earlier.

Ho-hum. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom