Retained Stage Breathing Order...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I checked my stage cave notes and didn't see anything, so if this was discussed in class, I didn't write it down.

Scenario: Florida flow cave, you are attempting a circuit dive which would require you to retain at least one of your stages.

What order do you breath from it? Stage first? Back gas first? At turn what order do you breath back? If on back gas do you continue on back gas until you use your second third?

My thoughts, breath stage down to "drop pressure" and switch to back gas until turn pressure. Continue on back gas until you breath down your second third, then switch to the stage until just before you pick up the deco bottle or the next stage. That way with flow the stage isn't as floaty. Instead of a stage with 200psi that wants to return to the surface.

Am I insane? ... Nevermind that goes without saying, I am a cave diver but is my stage breathing order insane?

For those wondering why, my instructor wants me to go my double stage dives in prep for DPV Cave. So I figure I might as well do something with that and do the Hill 400 to rollercoaster circuit with a crap ton of gas. 450cuft of gas what could possibly go wrong?

I checked my stage cave notes and didn't see anything, so if this was discussed in class, I didn't write it down.

Scenario: Florida flow cave, you are attempting a circuit dive which would require you to retain at least one of your stages.

What order do you breath from it? Stage first? Back gas first? At turn what order do you breath back? If on back gas do you continue on back gas until you use your second third?

My thoughts, breath stage down to "drop pressure" and switch to back gas until turn pressure. Continue on back gas until you breath down your second third, then switch to the stage until just before you pick up the deco bottle or the next stage. That way with flow the stage isn't as floaty. Instead of a stage with 200psi that wants to return to the surface.

Am I insane? ... Nevermind that goes without saying, I am a cave diver but is my stage breathing order insane?

For those wondering why, my instructor wants me to go my double stage dives in prep for DPV Cave. So I figure I might as well do something with that and do the Hill 400 to rollercoaster circuit with a crap ton of gas. 450cuft of gas what could possibly go wrong?
This is a highly debated topic and one that I find many instructors do differently. It can be a serious thing you need to discuss with buddies. I have my way, others have theirs. There are good answers and bad answers and everything in between. I tend to not go into it much with people because the philosophy discussion of keeping gas in your back gas vs stage can be frustrating.
I’m surprised your instructors requiring double stage experience. I understand the reasoning, but it was never a requirement for any of the dpv instructors I was considering using. I do a ton of single stage dpv dives and usually prefer them over multistage dives.

What does Chris say?

It is a question I will ask him the next time I see him. Sometimes discussion like these can generate further questions that I can ask him.

This is a highly debated topic and one that I find many instructors do differently. It can be a serious thing you need to discuss with buddies. I have my way, others have theirs. There are good answers and bad answers and everything in between. I tend to not go into it much with people because the philosophy discussion of keeping gas in your back gas vs stage can be frustrating.

That reminds me of a discussion I had with a GUE friend about his preference for breathing the stage down first, as in an emergency you can abandon the stage on the line and do the rest of the exit not slowed down by the stage.

If I am dropping stage, I always reserve back gas in case it is missing or empty when I return for it.

I’m surprised your instructors requiring double stage experience. I understand the reasoning, but it was never a requirement for any of the dpv instructors I was considering using. I do a ton of single stage dpv dives and usually prefer them over multistage dives.

Probably preparing for the eventuality. He said even if I just carry it, it is good. As he wants me practiced in carrying and manipulating it more than anything, so it isn't new when we add the DPV. TBH if two years ago you said I would be planning a dive that will cover almost a half mile of tunnels and four jumps, I would've though you were nuts. Though I was still planning to do this dive with a single stage. So multistage scooter dives might be a thing in the future even if I am not planning them now.

There's a very comprehensive thread on cavediver.net in the SM section that addresses some of the options

If I am dropping stage, I always reserve back gas in case it is missing or empty when I return for it.
That's a good choice. You have no clue how many cave divers think you breathe a stage to 1/2 + 200 and never consider reserving backgas. I know I wasn't initially. I think if you polled 100 cave divers you'll get 65 answers how they do it, and likely 75% who don't reserve back gas.

That's a good choice. You have no clue how many cave divers think you breathe a stage to 1/2 + 200 and never consider reserving backgas. I know I wasn't initially. I think if you polled 100 cave divers you'll get 65 answers how they do it, and likely 75% who don't reserve back gas.

Yup. I make it a point to stress to my stage students that they need to have a discussion with someone about what they do with regards to dropping stages before committing to a dive with them.

SCUBA diving is fun….

Well, he does. He also told me a week ago that he needs to go diving for fun more often (hey I took him to the Oriskany last month and on a 90 minute bimble around ginnie recently).

Well, he does. He also told me a week ago that he needs to go diving for fun more often (hey I took him to the Oriskany last month and on a 90 minute bimble around ginnie recently).

Just finished a 4 hour bimble around Ginnie about an hour ago and I have four days lined up for the O late September after Mexico. I am excited about that as I have never been on it.

Back to stage cave diving. That is above my level of expertise but sounds like a CCR is needed if that many stages are needed…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom