Resume critique/other help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've revised it with many of the suggestions posted. I will also try to change the objective for the position I will apply for, but am leaving it generic for now. I dont believe I can relay the appreciation I have for the help, but I promise if I ever get to dive with any of you the surf n turf n suds is on me after the dive. (after I get a job of course) Also, if some were curious I was only working a few hours/week at Honeywell due to the distance, and I started working at Luxottica (lenscrafters) to pay bills. It feels like this is more work than any of my engineering classes.

Objective: Obtain an engineering position utilizing skills of a BSEE along with technical knowledge obtained through 3+ years experience.

Education: Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering
8/2005 University of South Florida Tampa, FL

Associates of Arts in Engineering General
5/2003 Manatee Community College Bradenton, FL

Experience: 3 Years Sarasota, Fl
Honeywell: Automation and Control Solutions
Engineering Technician:
Evaluated the functionality, reliability, and outputs of new or current designs. Assembled prototypes from schematics, AutoCAD drawings, sketches and any other form. Improved designs through suggestions during assembly and testing. Prepared conference demos, test documentation, and troubleshot failed units to find cause. Returned results and consulted with the engineer.

1.5 years Tampa, Fl
Luxottica Retail: Eyeglass manufacturing
Certified Lab Technician:
Progressed from entry level to daily lab supervisor in three months and became a certified technician in six months which normally takes one year. Receive and manufacture work orders requested by opticians. Monitor stock and suggest equipment changes. Ensure all equipment in proper operation and perform any maintenance required. Maintain high quality through quality control checks during the entire manufacturing process. Supervise two employees during daily operation to maintain high productivity.

3 Years Sarasota, Fl
Target
Assistant Manager: Electronics

Entertainment Dept. Manager required daily revisions to merchandise layout. Secured new entertainment merchandise to prevent early sale. Increased sales by performing weekly stock revisions and updates.

Past - 2000
Various part time jobs including:
Quiznos: Customer service and food preparation
The Point: Customer service and food preparation
The Boys and Girls Club: Field trip assistant supervisor (average 60 kids)
Over the Edge Paintball: Volunteer, referee, customer service

Certifications: 30 Hour OSHA Training

Affiliations: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer 12/2004-Present
Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota Fl 1999

Skills: Circuit design, Leadership, OSHA safety, Project Management,
Optical Lens Fabrication, Production, PCB Layout, PCB Assembly, SMT, Microcontrollers, Atmel AVR, Motorolla

Software: Pspice, Mathcad, Matlab, Ansoft Maxwell 3D, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook Express, Microsoft Project, Simulink, C++, ASM, LabVIEW

P.S. The layout is better in MS word

Why not make a quick mention of your Scuba diving in the resume? If another diver is working in HR or some way involved in hiring, it might make the difference. . .

I actually just did my resume also, but I copied the format from my sisters (who is working for the Gov't). The format is:

address (centered)
phone number, e-mail addy (centered)

Name in bold (centered)

Summary ofQualifications (typed out and underlined)
List a brief summary

Skills (typed out and underlined)
List of skills and type whether you are proficient or your knowledge level

Education (typed out and underlined)
List your education from latest down to after high school {if young enough then put in high school)

Employment (typed out and underlined)
List latest to earliest with a brief list of job skills performed

i.e.
2005-1999 U.S. ? Aurora, CO
LAN Administrator
Configure, repari and maintain customer personal computers,
network servers and storage devices

Your resume should be around 3-4 pages. Don't use periods or salaries. Think up some good qualities and skills. If you need more information to make your resume longer, go into depth a LITTLE more on the qualifications.

Good luck
Melissa

Rev 2.
At 22yrs old should I add my high school? Should I put my age on the resume anywhere (it is both a positive and negative point)? Positive in the fact that I am very determined and hard working, yet negative in the fact that I'm still learning many many things beyond academics. Also I am still debating on the "interests" such as Scuba diving, Skydiving, research etc...

Objective:
Obtain an engineering position utilizing the skills of a BSEE along with technical knowledge obtained through 3+ years of experience.

Education:
Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering

Experience:
3 Years Sarasota, Fl
Engineering Technician:
Evaluated the functionality, reliability, and outputs of new or current designs. Assembled prototypes from schematics, AutoCAD drawings, sketches and any other form. Improved designs through suggestions during assembly and testing. Prepared conference demos and test documentation. Returned results and consulted with the engineer.

1.5 years Tampa, Fl
Progressed from entry level to daily lab supervisor in three months and became a certified technician in six months which normally takes one year. Receive and manufacture work orders requested by opticians while monitoring stock and suggesting equipment changes. Ensure all equipment in proper operation and perform any maintenance required. Maintain high quality through quality control checks during the entire manufacturing process. Supervise two employees during daily operation to maintain high productivity.

3 Years Sarasota, Fl
Target

Entertainment Dept. Manager required daily revisions to merchandise layout. Secured new entertainment merchandise to prevent early sale. Increased sales by performing weekly stock revisions and updates.

Past - 2000
The Boys and Girls Club: Field trip assistant supervisor (average 60 children), and volunteer

Certifications, Training, Awards:
OSHA 30 Hour Training Certificate
Employee Workplace Harassment and Discrimination Training (Honeywell)
Office Ergonomics Training (Honeywell)
Diverse Workplace Training (Luxottica)
Honor Cadet
Gold Medal in VICA local competition (Yuma, AZ 2001)
Bronze Medal in VICA state competition (Arizona 2001)

Affiliations:
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers 12/2004- Present
Vocational Industrial Clubs of America 8/2000 - 5/2001
Civil Air Patrol 11/1999- 5/2001
Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota Fl 5/1999 - 8/1999

Skills:
Circuit design, Leadership, OSHA safety, Project Management,
Optical Lens Fabrication, Production, PCB Layout, PCB Assembly, SMT, Microcontrollers, Atmel AVR, Motorolla

Software:
Pspice, Mathcad, Matlab, Ansoft Maxwell 3D, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook Express, Microsoft Project, Simulink, C++, ASM, LabVIEW

jeffreyd:
Rev 2.
At 22yrs old should I add my high school? Should I put my age on the resume anywhere (it is both a positive and negative point)? Positive in the fact that I am very determined and hard working, yet negative in the fact that I'm still learning many many things beyond academics. Also I am still debating on the "interests" such as Scuba diving, Skydiving, research etc...
Unless you're going for a teaching job at your old high school, forget about that on your resume. (You could even leave the Assoc. degree off.) Age? NO. Not even if you were older and perhaps starting a career in a different field. Interests, possibly, but not if you'll be seen as a risk-taker (yes, many will consider seeing both scuba and sky-diving as indicating this) and then only at the very bottom.
jeffreyd:
Objective:
Obtain an engineering position utilizing the skills of a BSEE along with technical knowledge obtained through 3+ years of experience.
Better, but unless you tailor it to each company that will see it, you could still leave it out. In any case, I'd reword it to end with something like "...with over three years practical experience in circuit board design, assembly, and testing." (unless you feel like you never want to see another board, but then you've got bigger problems)
jeffreyd:
Education:
Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering

Since it doesn't look like you took a break between getting your AA and BS, you could just focus on the BS.
jeffreyd:
Experience:
3 Years Sarasota, Fl
Engineering Technician:
Evaluated the functionality, reliability, and outputs of new or current designs. Assembled prototypes from schematics, AutoCAD drawings, sketches and any other form. Improved designs through suggestions during assembly and testing. Prepared conference demos and test documentation. Returned results and consulted with the engineer.
You could add more detail about HOW you "returned results" -- software used, structured data, statistical analysis, etc.
jeffreyd:
1.5 years Tampa, Fl
Progressed from entry level to daily lab supervisor in three months and became a certified technician in six months which normally takes one year. Receive and manufacture work orders requested by opticians while monitoring stock and suggesting equipment changes. Ensure all equipment in proper operation and perform any maintenance required. Maintain high quality through quality control checks during the entire manufacturing process. Supervise two employees during daily operation to maintain high productivity.
Perhaps "twice as fast as most technicians" to spin it that you're better.
jeffreyd:
3 Years Sarasota, Fl
Target

Either focus on a particular soft-skill or responsibility or this one can get lumped in with all the "various" jobs. I'm reading "straightened shelves, locked the back room, changed shelf tags" -- you need to bring out the "manager" part.
jeffreyd:
Past - 2000
The Boys and Girls Club: Field trip assistant supervisor (average 60 children), and volunteer
Good concentration of people-facing positions -- shows that you can interact with normal human beings. (c'mon, you know some tech-types who can't!)
jeffreyd:
Certifications, Training, Awards:
OSHA 30 Hour Training Certificate
Employee Workplace Harassment and Discrimination Training (Honeywell)
Office Ergonomics Training (Honeywell)
Diverse Workplace Training (Luxottica)
Honor Cadet
Gold Medal in VICA local competition (Yuma, AZ 2001)
Bronze Medal in VICA state competition (Arizona 2001)

Affiliations:
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers 12/2004- Present
Vocational Industrial Clubs of America 8/2000 - 5/2001
Civil Air Patrol 11/1999- 5/2001
Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota Fl 5/1999 - 8/1999

Skills:
Circuit design, Leadership, OSHA safety, Project Management,

Software:
Pspice, Mathcad, Matlab, Ansoft Maxwell 3D, Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook Express, Microsoft Project, Simulink, C++, ASM, LabVIEW
Other that the IEEE (and I think you should add the abbreviation -- more people will key on that than the full name), these seem to be from high school timeframe. If they're truly not current, then you might want to leave them out (or get involved again and don't mention the lapse).

Overall much better,

-Rob

Definitely getting better. You will get to the point where people will have conflicting opinions on further improvements; this may partly be a matter of what field people are in. (FWIW I'm in engineering.)

I strongly disagree with the statement that your resume should be 3-4 pages, especially if you don't have 3-4 pages worth of things to say. People's eyes will start to glaze over. The idea is to get in the door, you want to have something left to say when you get there.

I think I'd leave off scuba, but that's just my opinion. If someone doesn't dive you don't know how they will interpret it. If someone does dive, it may catch their eye and they will probably like to chat about it if you do get an interview - but I doubt it increases your chances of actually getting in the door. At least that's how it would go with me. I've been a hiring manager for many years and when I see people listing their sports and hobbies on a resume, my usual reaction is neutral to negative, like "why did they put that on there?" If the hobbies were strongly related to your profession or the job it would be different - like if you were applying for a job at Scubapro. :wink: You can always work things like that into a cover letter should it be appropriate.

If you were really active in some charitable or community activity, that is something that might make a favorable impression on me and worth listing. For reasons I'm not going to attempt to explain here I'd say Civil Air Patrol is worth leaving on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom