Restraunts in the MR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HammerNoMore

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'll be heading to Akumal before long and have been inspired by the latest Coz restraunt thread to ask about mainland restraunts. My wife wanted AI this trip because of the baby but I still plan to sample the local cusine as much as I can...

I probably don't want to go any further north than PDC or south of Tulum, but if there is a must eat I might consider it :).

Suggestions anyone?

James

In Akumal:

La Lunita (on Halfmoon Bay at Hacienda de Las Tortugas) - get a table on the beach. The coconut shrimp are always really good, and the fish that's cooked in foil w/ fresh veggies is also good. Steak w/ blue cheese sauce is usually good. Cafe La Lunita and pretty much any dessert.

La Buena Vida (Halfmoon Bay) - good for happy hour drinks and snacks and great views for sunset. Dinner and Lunch are hit or miss.

Turtle Bay Bakery & Cafe (in the main square across from Akumal Bay) - Excellent breakfast! Nice, but pricey dinner.

Lol Ha (Akumal Bay) - Used to be very good with a good selection of Mexican and Yucatan specialties, but it's gone more American and Continental and now our experience is hit or miss. There do have a jazz or blues band a couple nights a week, and dinner in the inside restaurant is supposed to be better. Haven't been recently so can't say.

Que Onda Restorante Italiano (near Yal ku) - nice, simple, homemade pasta dishes. A quaint garden setting, it's on the property of the Que Onda inn.

La Cueva del Pescador (main square across from Akumal Bay) - The best for fresh seafood and very strong margaritas. If you like fishing, make sure to talk to Carlos, the owner. He will take you out fishing in the day then cook your catch to order.

Lucy's (main area) - yummy homemade ice cream.

Others:

Pizzeria Leo in Chemyuil
Casa Cenote in Tankah Tres (Sunday's are an all-you-can-eat bbq)
Ana Y Jose's in Tulum
Que Fresco's (at Zama's) on the Tulum beach road towards Punta Allen
Al Cielo in Xpu Ha (beach club during the day, at night it's gourmet seafood on the beach)

I would second exactly what Scubawife said and add that I think it's worth the trip to Chemyuil for lasagna at Pizza Leo's. Don't be afraid to ask for a box to take the left overs home. Their pizza is also fantastic.

Pez de Diablo:
I would second exactly what Scubawife said and add that I think it's worth the trip to Chemyuil for lasagna at Pizza Leo's. Don't be afraid to ask for a box to take the left overs home. Their pizza is also fantastic.

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you.

James

Back
Top Bottom