Resorts with good house reef diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I imagine a beach dive not far off from the dive resort would be a shallow one, almost like snorkeling. Divers are less likely to get disoriented unlike when doing boat dives in the middle of the ocean.

malaysia-islands:
Because I imagine a beach dive not far off from the dive resort would be a shallow one, almost like snorkeling. Divers are less likely to get disoriented unlike when doing boat dives in the middle of the ocean.

That's true. Some of the house reefs here go down as far as 60ft-80ft but are very close to the resort so disorientation wouldn't be as likely as out in the ocean. I'll post the question up in the PPD forum and will get back to you guys.

lumbalumbadiving.com at Manada have fantastic house dive. Mandarin fish, robust ghost pipefish, crocodile fish, nudis, octopus, reef fish, batfish by the dozen, mantis shrimp, orang utan crabs, ribbon eel, yada yada yada. Day dive, night dive. You have a dive guide who just does exactly what you want. There are several directions to go on their house site. Dive guides will give you an orientation and then just do as you wish eg point out stuff or not point out stuff, go slow, stay in one place for an hour, or go faster.

Only problem - avoiding treading on the ghost pipe fishes and sea horses as you giant stride in. And all those batfish - all ages, shapes and sizes. In fact you might not make it into the water - you can see so much of it from the jetty.

IMHO, the jetty dive is pretty awesome. I have seen Jap photographers forgoing the boat dives just to dive at the jetty.

In one dive, you are likely to see:
ribbon eels, croc fish, scorpion fish, stonefish, stargazer, nudis, gold spec jawfish (with eggs), turtles, schools of jacks, snappers, squirrelfish, shrimps and crabs, various clownfishes, batfishes, octopus, squat lobsters, clingfish, shrimpfish, trumpetfish, gobies, blah blah blah....

only let down was i couldn't find the harloquin shrimps, boxer crabs and hippocampus ponthi which the DMs saw weeks ago....and i didn't see any frogfish (surprise!)

And this is not muck but some healthy reef diving....

Eric

The various Tulamben resorts in Bali can almost rightfully consider the Liberty wreck as their house reef - This is a truly great dive both for critters, scenery without forgetting the schooling jacks and even mola-mola if you are (very) lucky.

K, in the philippines you need a DM if you're just OW. If you're AOW, then it's ok to dive the house reef with just a dive buddy.

Sorry for posting before finding out the real story. Lesson learned. Chip will go shave his wool off now...

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom