Resorts we should avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And it gets way worse if the practice catches on and becomes adopted by all hotels.

So now can you see why it is a problem and ridiculous? It could get really out of hand with base fees like this. If they want to bill us monthly by the diver, ok - we can deal with that. We can add the pier surcharges on to the diving bill if the hotels don't want to be the bad guys - but it will be clear that the pier fees are being assessed by the hotels and they are expenses we cannot absorb without raising our prices across the board - s those staying in hotels with pier fees will have the surcharges, and ALL of out divers don't have to absorb the charges by higher prices.

THe bottom line is that any hotel that accepts guests and has a dock, it is part of the property that is on federal property.. Other than that it is just some way to rip off the guests, or force them to use the low service, cattle boat ops that pay them too much to keep divers captive to the property.

This recent move by hotels, especially Iberostar, if allowed to go on is going to hurt diving in Cozumel, even if many divers don't know the difference between good service and bad. Mexican Law does not allow this and Aldora is working within the law to get this fixed.

dave dillehay
aldora divers

THe bottom line is that any hotel that accepts guests and has a dock, it is part of the property that is on federal property.. Other than that it is just some way to rip off the guests, or force them to use the low service, cattle boat ops that pay them too much to keep divers captive to the property.

This recent move by hotels, especially Iberostar, if allowed to go on is going to hurt diving in Cozumel, even if many divers don't know the difference between good service and bad. Mexican Law does not allow this and Aldora is working within the law to get this fixed.

dave dillehay
aldora divers

You go Dave! I am still pushing for a sticky on the subject in some fashion so divers can be aware of the issue.

Thanks for bringing this up. Even if my actions in no way affect how business is run - which of course it doesn't! - I still like to be an educated consumer. If I am dead set on diving with a certain op, I will adjust my accommodations accordingly, and if I really want to stay at a certain property, I will have to decide if I want to pay a fee. But I would rather know in advance, than be ticked off the whole time because I didn't know to ask about these things...

What is the policy of other operators at the Blue Angel dock?

Eva is very gracious and allows operators to pick up hotel guests without issues.

What is the policy of other operators at the Blue Angel dock?

Eva is very gracious and allows operators to pick up hotel guests without issues.

Yup, Been on Aldora boats picking up divers there. People on the pier helped with the dock lines to get the boat hooked up the last time. No problem, even helpful...

Is it fair to the resort and their operator to let the competition use their dock for free ?

The issue is more whether it's fair for a resort to allow THEIR PAYING GUESTS full use of the facilities. As cbm32 and cvchief point out, 60 bucks to a small operator who might only do one or two pickups for that month is a prohibitive additional cost. That means if that's my preferred dive shop, I might not be able to dive with them if I stay at a place that has such charges. When I stayed at the Presidente and paid Presidente prices I sure as shootin' did expect to be able to have whatever dive shop I wanted to use pick me up at their pier.

I don't have to be thrilled by a per-pickup fee, but if it's posted and charged to the guest I can live with that. A hidden monthly fee to the dive shop, though, makes it inaccurately appear to the guest that certain dive shops are just being difficult if they don't want to pick up at certain piers.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2013 at 11:37 AM ----------

So, a small resort with a good reputation as a hotel, dive op, and restaurant doesn't seem to fear other dive ops as much as large corporate resorts? Hmmm...

Well that is at least a clear choice for you the diver. I want to stay here and X op won't pick me up but Y will. Clear choice on you and well within the ability of an op to change.

The dock fees are harder on small ops than large and they can't do a think about it.

So isnt the easy option for the Ops to say if you stay at one of these hotels we will not pick you up?
Eventually the people would either pay cab fares to the op or stay somewhere else.

I get the organizing thing, and I think it is great. But seems to me the folks with the power here are the operators. If they band together and not pick up at these resorts in the same way they will not pick up north then eventually the problem will solve itself right?

By the way just got back from Sabor and there were no gaurds on the doc, they never asked us for money, and we told our OP if they were charged we would pay it. dont know if this is just a bad case of enforcement or not but did not see the issue last week

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom