Resizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody for the help and the extra questions. Very interesting and informative reading.

justleesa:
Now when I work a pic I save it as a processed version in a new file. Go on and add my water mark, save it as a signed photo (new file again). I take that pic and resize it for the web and save it as a webpic (last new file). I am clear that is saving 3 times I have gone down 3 grades. Could this be the reason for my quality loss? is it just too many saves? And what about the one I worked on and didn't save? Does it lose anything for being opened and worked on? (hope this doesn't sound screwy)

Yes, WAY too many saves. Your best options are somewhat as Ron stated:
(1) Open the jpeg, make all changes - do NOT save during the process, each save degrades the image, think photocopying a photocopy - last steps should be resize, sharpen, and insert watermark. Then "save as" your final shot for the web. To keep a large original without sharpen and watermark, simply "save as" another file name prior to resizing. (simply opening a pic and closing it does not degrade it... otherwise all pics on the web would degrade).

Not sure I read Ron's post right but ALWAYS save the original, IOW, don't simply edit the jpeg and then "save" it. Always "save as"

What I do:
(2) Open the jpeg, save as a TIFF or PSD (Less lossy format), make all changes to the TIFF or PSD, Prior to resizing, save the TIFF or PSD "as" the final large file. Then Resize, sharpen, and add watermark, then save for web or save as jpeg.

That way, I end up with three files: (1) the original as shot; (2) the large edited but unsharpened and unresized version of the keepers; and (3) the resized sharpened edited version of the keepers, with only one save for each

Hope that made sense

Chris

have to go dive so haven't read this thread fully...here's something that helped me:

Work in RGB as usual. After the image is ready, convert to sRGB then save for web. This is the best way I have found so far to keep colours the "same" and the sharpest image possible for the web.

ChrisM:
Not sure I read Ron's post right but ALWAYS save the original, IOW, don't simply edit the jpeg and then "save" it. Always "save as"

What I do:
(2) Open the jpeg, save as a TIFF or PSD (Less lossy format), make all changes to the TIFF or PSD, Prior to resizing, save the TIFF or PSD "as" the final large file. Then Resize, sharpen, and add watermark, then save for web or save as jpeg.

That way, I end up with three files: (1) the original as shot; (2) the large edited but unsharpened and unresized version of the keepers; and (3) the resized sharpened edited version of the keepers, with only one save for each

Hope that made sense

Chris

Chris has it right as to keeping the original. NEVER SAVE over the original regardless of what format you are working. As for his workflow, that is a matter of preferance, but his flow has some advantages. If you save the sharpened image, and then decide you oversharpen, you start over with the original.

As for if you are saving too much, IMO save once in JPG if possible. Saving does not really buy much, especially whan adding a watermark so why do it. You can add a watermark without issue any time you like.

My workflow does not involve JPEG much, and when it does I save once. So I have not really worked the problem. However as a programmer, I certainly understand compression, and I can tell you that the more you save, the more likely you will suffer image loss.

liberato:
If an image reduced to 800x600 at a certain compression to attain a required file size doesn't look sharp you can try reducing the image size to 1024x768 with less compression (same file size let's say) and it actually may look better.
Of course, you really meant to say 1024x768 reduced to 800x600... (the point being to limit the compression used at any given file size).

And if working on an image without doing an initial "save as" (and avoiding interim saves) it is probably a good idea to have the original be read-only so you will be forced to do a "save as" rather than a inadvertent "save" when finished.

Probably already answered, but if in .jpg and resizing, I usually, not always, have to sharpen.
Do to the compression etc... on saving .jpgs
Using PSCS.. assuming it's the same for any...

Anytime .jpg are saved they loose quality.

~~~~~ continued ~~~
There are some threads on processing this somewhere 6-9 months ago...
But basically what I do is:

From Camera/card reader:
ACTION Download, rename and save as .psd to HD
That gives me an orginal in .psd format.
I then take whatever orginal, SAVE AS
Same file name (keeps them together) with an "m" attached to it for Modified

Then work on the Modified in .psd format to a final product.

Then SAVE AS xxxs.jpg - resize, sharpen if needed and save with an "s" (small) (for web and e-mail)

As I'm selling my photos in a ShoppingCart so have another
ACTION from the "...m.psd" (browser selected) photo to save as max quality.jpg 1600x1200 for the shoppe cart... xxxxc.jpg

myphoto.psd
myphotom.psd
mypohotos.jpg
myphotoc.jpg

Heheh.. so I now have a lot of used hard drive space AND???
the orginal in .psd
modified copy in xxxm.psd
quick e-mail copy 650x??? xxxs.jpg
Shoppe copy Max quality 1600x1200 quality. xxxc.jpg

Now, to organize them using a Photo Album...
Cumulus just haven't gotten there yet...

Hope that helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom