Resizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Big question here. I was wondering, when I look at my pictures I see these sharp images. Then I go to resize them and they lose their edge. Do you see this too or do I need to run to get a new set of glasses?

When you resize your pictures to post on the board what do you use to resize and what do you resize to?

justleesa:
Big question here. I was wondering, when I look at my pictures I see these sharp images. Then I go to resize them and they lose their edge. Do you see this too or do I need to run to get a new set of glasses?

That's one of the problems with digital photography: resizing often loses information. Suppose you go from an image that's 2000 pixels wide down to an image that's 1500 pixels wide. Which 1500 pixels are the "right" ones? The software that does the resizing has various algorithms you can use. They generally do some sort of average of the nearby pixels. I don't have any concrete advice here -- I'm just getting into digital photography, coming from a film background, and haven't studied this yet. But, no, this doesn't mean you need new glasses.

justleesa:

When you resize your pictures to post on the board what do you use to resize and what do you resize to?

You see sharp images, and they don't even know they are sharp :eyebrow:

Seriously, how do you judge sharp? RU looking at the LCD? If so realize that something that appears sharp on a 1.5"-2" LCD may not actually be sharp, or even in focus. If the camera has a way to review and enlarge the LCD image, that can sometimes help.

Second, what format RU shooting in?

There are two factors involved here. First the resolution for example 3072x2304 which are labeled differently for each manufacture/camera based on the sensor size. Use the highest setting, or RAW. Second is the compression mode which applies to JPG images, and are generally named things like HI/SUPERFINE/FINE/NORMAL/LOW. This controls how much compression is done when the camera writes a JPG image. Use the highest (lowest compression) setting like SUPERFINE on Canon, or HIGH on Nikon for the best quality/least loss.

You should not need to resize images shot with 5mpix + camera's to print images up to about 8x10, but this is largely based on what resolution you are using. I guess I should say, you will want to resize them so they print the size you want, but there should be very little if any upsizing, more like a crop.

Without knowing more about what you are attempting to do, and what settings you are starting with, it's very difficult to give advice. Generally to post images on the web one must downsize them, not upres.

There are a ton of Upressing, cropping, and resizing options available in just about every software application that handles image data, so another suggestion is to tell us what software you are using, and how you are attempting to alter the image.

Posting examples is a VERY necessary thing if you really want to allow people to understand and help.

I use Irfanview (Windows platform) for a quick, inexpensive (free) resizing program. It takes jpegs from a large source (4, 5, 6, 7, etc MP) and resizes them very adequately for web viewing (800x600 or something like that). I don't seem to lose sharpness (or maybe my photos were out of focus to start with :wink: )

mjh:
Have an example??
hmmm...can't post an example because they are too big to upload to the board.....You can look at my most resent pics which are linked in my sig line and just have to take my word for it, the originals are sharper.

On my computer screen they just seem more alive and those, as far as the brilliance and texture go are not.

I do know that they lose a bit in resizing, but when I look at some folks pic I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong.

You see sharp images, and they don't even know they are sharp :eyebrow:

ROFL....too funny :wink:

Seriously, how do you judge sharp? RU looking at the LCD? If so realize that something that appears sharp on a 1.5"-2" LCD may not actually be sharp, or even in focus. If the camera has a way to review and enlarge the LCD image, that can sometimes help.

I have noticed that too, I am having more trouble since my mask broke and just hope when I dive again - I'll see something worth taking pictures of

Second, what format RU shooting in?

There are two factors involved here. First the resolution for example 3072x2304 which are labeled differently for each manufacture/camera based on the sensor size. Use the highest setting, or RAW. Second is the compression mode which applies to JPG images, and are generally named things like HI/SUPERFINE/FINE/NORMAL/LOW. This controls how much compression is done when the camera writes a JPG image. Use the highest (lowest compression) setting like SUPERFINE on Canon, or HIGH on Nikon for the best quality/least loss.

I have an oly 5050 and am taking pictures in HQ 2560x1920
You should not need to resize images shot with 5mpix + camera's to print images up to about 8x10, but this is largely based on what resolution you are using. I guess I should say, you will want to resize them so they print the size you want, but there should be very little if any upsizing, more like a crop.

Without knowing more about what you are attempting to do, and what settings you are starting with, it's very difficult to give advice. Generally to post images on the web one must downsize them, not upres.

I have no trouble with my prints, just the internet stuff.

Posting examples is a VERY necessary thing if you really want to allow people to understand and help.

Very true, I just can't post the original - so you can only look at those I UL'd either in my gallery or the thread in my sig line - or this one or this one (the hawk fish is better than it looks here.... :frown:

Are you sharpening your photos in PS or some other program?
I find it necesary to sharpen every photo I shoot.

I have that same trouble, Lisa. I think digital pictures do lose a little "edge" when they are resized down. I believe Pete has hit the nail on the head. I use Kodak EasyShare editing and printing.

yes, I use PSE and I do sharpen each picture, when I do I also notice that the picture is sharper than before and then when I click ok it's not as sharp as in the preview. I also notice that sharpend pictures have more noise after they are resized

I have CS around here somewhere, afraid of the new I guess....I'll put it on someday

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom