Researching A Dive Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OSCAR LARA

Reaction score
I Am Looking At Purchasing A Dive/family Boat In The 17 To 19 Foot Range.i Do A Lot Of Fresh Water And Wreck Dives Off The Coast (florida).i Need Something That Will Handle Good In The Ocean.any Opinions Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
Things I Am Looking For:
Between $20,000 To $30,000
Center Console
Easy Entry And Exit
150 H.p Engine(makes It Easy To Get In And Out Of Coast)
6 Person Capacity
Rear Room For Equipment

I am looking for the same thing and here is what I have found.

I am starting to look towards a walk around style. It has a small cuddy and alot of room in the back. They are between 20' and 25' but would be right in the price range for used. Also would make a great fishing boat. :)

P.S. I have never owned a boat before so my opinon does not mean alot. This is just what I have seen that I thought would be a good dive boat.:wink:

for truly diving i would go 25 and above in sixe and yes a walk around can be the ticket.

OSCAR LARA:
I Am Looking At Purchasing A Dive/family Boat In The 17 To 19 Foot Range.i Do A Lot Of Fresh Water And Wreck Dives Off The Coast (florida).i Need Something That Will Handle Good In The Ocean.any Opinions Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
Things I Am Looking For:
Center Console
Easy Entry And Exit
6 Person Capacity
Rear Room For Equipment

It is good you have started with a price range and scale in mind. I would suggest a cuddy cabin boat. The ocean experience in a center console is completely different from that of a cuddy cabin boat. You need foul weather gear to boat in the rain with a center console. With a cuddy you have a nice cabin area to keep dry and warm. I have a 19' Bayliner Capri (model #1952) with a cuddy cabin and full stand up canvas enclosure. I bought mine brand new in 2000. I overnight on the boat and I enjoy having a dry area. I am extremely impressed with how well this boat handles seas. Even on hot days the canvas enclosure is absolutely essential. I can take three divers (all with doubles/stage bottles) and a non-diving passenger max. If I am not diving my boat has seats and drink holders for 6. The cuddy cabin also allows for a porta potti in the cabin which is a necessity if diving / boating with women or children.

I researched several manufacturers before deciding on the Bayliner. The Bayliner will be the best bang for your buck. The boat has the same warranty, same Mercury engine/outdrive, and is $5K less than other boats of the same size. I have taken my boat 23 miles offshore for diving and often weekend at nearby island.

The name of the game is to be well equipped. Expect $5G in accessories and prep before any boat you purchase will be ready for the ocean. Bottom paint (unless you plan to trailer), VHF radio, GPS, USCG safety equipment, depth gauge, insurance, rope, etc., etc., etc.

--Matt

OSCAR LARA:
Things I Am Looking For:
Center Console
Easy Entry And Exit
6 Person Capacity
Rear Room For Equipment

I had a Searay 215 Express Cruiser and loved it. Plenty of room, small head for the ladies, easy access on/off, small cuddy to get out of the elements. I do not think they make the 215 any more but there plenty of them out there!

Let us know what u get

For fresh water diving and sea you obviously need something trailable. In the UK most divers would probably choose a rib. A rib in the 5.6m range could carry 6-8 divers. If its 6m or more you will probably need something large like a 4 wheel drive SUV to do the towing. If you want some idea of what ribs are like check http://www.redbayboats.com/

sea ray has lots of towable boats , they are more money but I think they are worth it . with you us dollar look to canada and save.

Boston Whaler. It's the ultimate center console, and
absolutely unsinkable. In that size range, I'd be looking
at an older BW Outrage model. The newer Outrages
have wider gunwales and less space, and are heavier.

I've had my 17' Boston Whaler Montauk diving at the
Farallones (36 nm one way).

If you are using your boat in open ocean I would suggest halving your 150HP engines into dual 75HP. If one conks out you can still limp back home on the remaining engine.

If you plan to technical diving (i.e. twin tanks, stages, etc.) a 19 foot boat may be too small for six divers, and perhaps dangerous in heavy seas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom