Rescue Course Mishaps - The good, the bad, and the funny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being the victim is the worst, for sure. SO many head-dunkings, scrapes and bruises...
I was the only person tall or heavy in my class.

Being dropped and dragged on the ground is what I remember the most from the class :p

I learned to keep the victim facing away from me. During my rescue diver class and in open water, the instructor hangs on to me while I assist him. He inadvertently releases my shoulder straps, waist belt and before I know it my gear was on the way down to the bottom. :facepalm:

In my class, my panicked "victim" partner that I had to get behind and rescue ... head hand-to-hand trainer for one of the larger local PDs.

I've played "victim" or demo-dummy several times.
- instructor demoing de-geared rescue breathing gets to explaining the finer points to the class and forgets that he has me by the nose, dragging me under ...
- in a wing, it turns out, I'm rather unstable laying on my back ... students doing gear removal learned the hard lesson to always maintain positive control of the victim. Well maybe the lesson was hard for me as I kept ending up face-down.
- my frequent buddy beat me up pretty good, banging me into the dock and landing a decent punch to the jaw during the various diver recoveries.

Actually, all fun in the end and an order of magnitude better than being safety-trail on zeroish-viz nite dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom