Rescue Certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone, thanks for all the good advice about a month or so ago when I originally asked if it was a good idea or not to get my Rescue Diver certification.
I completed the Rescue Diver course this weekend and I can honestly say it was the best class I've ever taken. The skills I acquired in the class make me a better diver and a better buddy. It wasn't the easiest class to take, hauling an "unconscious" diver who's "not breathing" to shore is pretty difficult.
Oh, and get this. We're surface swimming out to do some more skills and suddenly hear this girl scream for help. She's surfaced in the kelp and is struggling. There was a kayaker nearby and he went over and helped her hold on to the boat. My instructor swam over and took off her weight belt and got her calmed down. She was out of air, surfaced in the kelp and was struggling. Imagine that, witnessing a real rescue in my rescure diver class.

Mel

Always great to know there's another Rescue Diver out there should I ever need one...
Rick :)

Congratulations!!!

:balloon:

I needed you on my night dive. I tried to surface, but I was in the kelp and it would not let me ascend. It was really scary watching everyone else leave me and being alone in the dark. Yes I had a light, but I was to busy trying to free the kelp to use it. Eventually I broke the kelp and surfaced. I was paniking though...BIG TIME!!!

I did use the light when the dib=vers were still in view. I gave the distressed signal, but I guess they didn't get it...*sigh*...they kept going up. All turned out fine in the end...:)

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to the final stage of my rescue Diver course on September 22.

Congrats on your achievement.....I got my Rescue Certification in August and I found it to be the most interesting course to-date......of course I hope I will never have to use it..........It is challanging (or should be) and presents challanges to each individual.............................a must for all divers.........

Seeing a real application helps with the realism. One of our DM's and me rescued a "solo" diver at the surface last summer during one of our rescue classes. I thought it just as well his tank fell out of the bands because he had everything put together wrong anyway.

even out of the water, in terms of accident management. I recently had the chance to put what I learned to use on dry land. My office is at an intersection, and there was yet another crash out there (I don't know why - there is nothing to obstruct anyone's vision, but it happens regularly) and this time, it was obvious that an ambulance was needed. I called 911, and then went out and did what they told me to do until the paramedics came. I don't think I would have had the confidence to step in before I took that class.

Back
Top Bottom