Rescue breathing when there is no pulse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i just have one thought about CPR and AR...
with the onset of the Severe Acute REspiratory Syndrome (SARS) i think manufacturers and distributors should make and sell more of the one way tubes you use when applying AR or CPR...

joele once bubbled...
i just have one thought about CPR and AR...
with the onset of the Severe Acute REspiratory Syndrome (SARS) i think manufacturers and distributors should make and sell more of the one way tubes you use when applying AR or CPR...

There is a little plastic barrier (with a one way valve, I think) that fit over both nose and mouth of the victim available. It will also provide a better seal around the nose and mouth. Most medical supplier stores should have it available. I know several doctors who keep it in their cars just in case they ever run into an accident on the road and might need to do resuscitation.

thanks...
i just have to look for them...
i don't think all medical suppliers carry those...

Recently recertified in CPR, the instructor was very clear to express that it is far more important to get blood circulation than to deliver air to this victim. He explained that blood is the delivery system for oxygen to the brain & other vitals. The instructor also explained that ,if their heart has stoppped he/she may have enough oxygen in their blood to keep their brain nourished for 5-8 minutes with just chest compressions. Without circulation there is no delivery of oxygen to the brian.
Therefore, "I" would get the victim out of the water to adminstier chest compressions as soon as possible.
NUTSHELL: Ask your local friendly fireman/EMT ... they deal with this almost everyday.
I hope this helps.

ssra30 once bubbled...

There is a little plastic barrier (with a one way valve, I think) that fit over both nose and mouth of the victim available. It will also provide a better seal around the nose and mouth. Most medical supplier stores should have it available. I know several doctors who keep it in their cars just in case they ever run into an accident on the road and might need to do resuscitation.

There are a couple of different types of fold up plastic barriers, the most common does not have a oneway valve (this barrier is only really good for restricting fluids as you will still get some airborne contaminates while you do mouth-to-mouth). Most of these should be carried on your person as just having it in your car will not help if you are not near it. Mine that I carry has a nice small nylon case to carry it in which is 1" x 1" (protects the plastic from physical damage. These IMO should be replaced after 6 month to 1 year if not used due to possible deteriation of the plastic).

In my car I always carry a complete First-Aid kit that has a full AR mask in it's case (again for protection). And I try to have a pocket mask in my pocket at all times. This way I will have my barrier at all times. I do this as my protocol for AR/CPR from my First-Aid training requires me to use a barrier at all times. This is a problem as at my Padi Rescue course I'm also requires to do mouth-to-mouth. It looks like I will have to carry my mask with me at all times while diving.

Ian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom