Rescue Breathing on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do most of my CPR/Pro classes in Tucson. They train a lot of lifeguards. O2 is never taught. The pools have no O2. I can teach it, they don't want it. You think next year that the city of Tucson is suddenly going to pay for O2 training when they have none.

They only teach for the pools, now you are talking waterfront. Basic lifeguarding does not include in water ventilations or O2.

I am with freediver, I'll just wait for the sources, maybe some references.

don O

Regardless of what is taught or by whom, it is not practical for the average weekend recreational diver to both tow a diver and continue rescue breathing for any extended period of time. The tow will go very slowly and the average rescue diver will wear themselves out before they reach the shore. Now you have two divers in trouble. If you can stay put and call a boat or other divers over for help that is a different situation.

donooo:
I do most of my CPR/Pro classes in Tucson. They train a lot of lifeguards. O2 is never taught. The pools have no O2. I can teach it, they don't want it. You think next year that the city of Tucson is suddenly going to pay for O2 training when they have none.

They only teach for the pools, now you are talking waterfront. Basic lifeguarding does not include in water ventilations or O2.

don O

From the ARC website.

Lifeguarding instructors will be trained to teach the following basic-level courses:
· Lifeguard Training (includes first aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer);
· AED Essentials;
· Oxygen Administration Training for the Professional Rescuer;
· Preventing Disease Transmission (Bloodborne Pathogens);
· Community Water Safety;
· Basic Water Rescue;
· Safety Training for Swim Coaches (must meet requirements as outlined in Connection #86, September 21, 1999); and
Lifeguard Management (After release in late Fall 2001, Lifeguarding instructors may complete a self-study or group orientation to the new materials and submit a verification form to their local chapter.

And then:

Lifeguarding instructors will be trained to teach the following basic-level courses:
· Lifeguard Training (includes first aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer);
· AED Essentials;
· Oxygen Administration Training for the Professional Rescuer;
· Preventing Disease Transmission (Bloodborne Pathogens);
· Community Water Safety;
· Basic Water Rescue;
· Safety Training for Swim Coaches (must meet requirements as outlined in Connection #86, September 21, 1999); and
Lifeguard Management (After release in late Fall 2001, Lifeguarding instructors may complete a self-study or group orientation to the new materials and submit a verification form to their local chapter.

I dont have a book. I have a CD that I work from. I'll load the CD and copy and paste the rescue breathing when I get a chance.

I keep hearing from different ARC instructors that they were never told that there is a new course out. Contact your local ARC chapter and get the CD for the new course if you dont have it yet. You are also suppose to take a self admin. CBT and that is mailed in for a new instructor card.

donooo:

don O

All of this is included in the lifeguarding training course monies. They dont have to pay anything extra. There are a LOT of pools that dont have back boards and AED's, yet the ARC, ALA, YMCA gaurds are all taught backboarding and AED use in thier training programs. The O2 admin, deep water rescue breathing and bloodborne pathalogy just wasnt taught at many of the ARC and MANY ARC gaurds are working at YMCA's and waterfront lakes and the ALA and YMCA programs had offered these for years and the ARC was behind them in thier training. So the ARC is updating the thier program to stay current with the rest of the certified agencies.

scjoe:
Regardless of what is taught or by whom, it is not practical for the average weekend recreational diver to both tow a diver and continue rescue breathing for any extended period of time. The tow will go very slowly and the average rescue diver will wear themselves out before they reach the shore. Now you have two divers in trouble. If you can stay put and call a boat or other divers over for help that is a different situation.

Or stay put and call a boat or other divers over for help WHILE you are performing the rescue breaths?..Ever did CPR. Its difficult to perform CPR on land for an extended amount of time by yourself also. It is just very difficult, physically.

Northern Diver, 100%, that is what Lifeguard Instructors need to be able to teach. But O2 and Bloodborne Pathogens are options for Lifeguards, dependent on the needs and requirements of the community.

Find the printout of the Red Cross Hierarchy, it tells a lot.

https://www.instructorscorner.org/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentId=2360

The CPR/Pro class does not need to include O2 and Lifeguard training does not need O2 or Bloodborne Pathogens.

don O

donooo:
Northern Diver, 100%, that is what Lifeguard Instructors need to be able to teach. But O2 and Bloodborne Pathogens are options for Lifeguards, dependent on the needs and requirements of the community.

Find the printout of the Red Cross Hierarchy, it tells a lot.

https://www.instructorscorner.org/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentId=2360

The CPR/Pro class does not need to include O2 and Lifeguard training does not need O2 or Bloodborne Pathogens.

don O

In the students NEW books, it has O2, and blood pathogen sections in them (for the basic course, which is pool side training). ALL gaurds will be taught O2 admin and bbp. Why would it be in their books if it isnt to be taught. It isnt based on the need of the communities. Some Y's and waterfronts lakes dont and some do have O2, backboards, bbp kits and AED's that are operating in the same towns or communites. It's all taught as the BASIC lifeguarding class now. It used to be based off need for the if a gaurd asked for the O2 or bbp, it would be taught at an extra cost and an extra class. NOW it is All taught in the same cost and in the same class as part of the lifeguarding course.

Currently, the Red Cross is teaching 30 compressions to 2 breaths.

skresch:
Single responder: 20 compressions to 1 breath
Multi responder: 5 compressions to 1 breath

Northern Diver,

You cannot perform CPR in the water. You can give a rescue breath in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom