Rescue Breathing on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Working on my Rescue Diver certification right now and we were doing the resuce breathing drills in the pool.

I am wondering if there are any statistics out there that show divers surviving due to being given rescue breaths on the surface.

The technique is very awkward at best, and between the breaths the possibility of water entering the mouth/nose area is pretty good also.

Just wondering if anything substantiates rescue breathing or if the best course of action is get them aboard the boat or to the beach ASAP.

Thanks,

I've seen discussions about rescue breaths being abandoned in favor of the speed of getting a victim aboard the boat or onto the beach, but until it becomes official, the official word is to stick to the program.

Never seen statistics and of course the effectiveness will be a product of training and conditions. I doubt that anyone was ever saved by not being given rescue breaths though no doubt some victims will take on water.

I see your logic that if the boat (or shore) is nearby and the seas are aggressive then getting them out of the water expediently make sense. Unfortunately the clock keeps ticking on brain and other damage.

As you should be learning in your class it's all about doing the best you can with the situation you are dealt. Remember also that to remain legally secure you should be performing to the best of your training.

Pete

If the person's heart is not beating, no oxygen will be circulated so rescue breaths would be a waste of time in the water.

During our Rescue class a point was brought up. Instead of giving breathes why could you not hold the reg in thier mouth and purge it ?

JAMIE MCG:
During our Rescue class a point was brought up. Instead of giving breathes why could you not hold the reg in thier mouth and purge it ?

...why you cannot ventillate with a regulator:

1. You might overpressurize the lungs to the point of alveolar rupture & induce pneumothorax, embolism or other overinflation trauma

2. You cannot gauge "compliance" which is the ease ( or lack thereof ) of ventillatory inflation, thereby being unable to gauge how forcefully to ventillate.

DSD

Knavey:
Working on my Rescue Diver certification right now and we were doing the resuce breathing drills in the pool.

I am wondering if there are any statistics out there that show divers surviving due to being given rescue breaths on the surface.

The technique is very awkward at best, and between the breaths the possibility of water entering the mouth/nose area is pretty good also.

Just wondering if anything substantiates rescue breathing or if the best course of action is get them aboard the boat or to the beach ASAP.

Thanks,

...on here a short while ago ( the thread was lost along with everything else back to May, I believe ).

Don't know if I have the energy to tackle it again! What do you say Kris B., shall we go for round two, or is it 200?! :D

DSD

Haven't I read somewhere lately that the NEW procedure for reanimation is not 12 chest compressions and then 1 breath , but 20 compressions and then 1 breath because the most important is to have the blood circulated to the brain, not air in the lungs ?

*** Did not have to use the new technique yet, but it should be a work out for the responder !! :confused: :confused:

The new standard is 30:2 for one rescuer CPR
Using the purge valve will only fill the epigastrium (stomach) with air, dont do it.
Rescue breathing in the water in almost every situation is a waste of time, get them out where you can do some good.
Just my 20 something years of paramedicine to back up my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom