Requirement to "remove and replace" scuba unit and weight system for dry suit cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand the question. Doffing/donning the WETSUIT was the only skill I had trouble with. In fact it held up my DM cert. I have also seen quite a few wetsuited OW students struggle on the surface in waves. I had problems with this in OW, as well as at depth. I can't speak for drysuits, but BCDs vary a lot. My personal old Phantom has tiny straps hard to find. When using shop BCDs my donning/doffing improved some.
I guess it also depends on what kind of diving you do. If you always dive in benign conditions with a competent buddy and not from a small boat, I would guess the skill is less important.

Two points.

1. Having some form of formal 'drysuit' training is beneficial. It gives a structure to the basics of drysuit diving. Ultimately, practical experience, is what you need. Nothing substitutes for in water practical dive time.

2. I can fully understand the request to see a drysuit qualification card prior to hiring a suit to an individual, although it is extremely irritating.
That said, my agency (BSAC) at one point proposed dropping 'drysuit qualification cards', on the basis that there was no requirement. Ultimately you can still apply for a drysuit card. Despite the fact that the vast majority of BSAC divers use drysuits, and have completed the drysuit course, very few UK divers ever apply for the card. (After all, we all own our own and dive in drysuits the majority of the time).
I do have an endorsement in my old qualification book. But I never carry the book, and would never think to carry a drysuit card if I had one.
On the few occasions in the uk when we (as a group) have needed a drysuit, one of us will just hand over an instructor card. I am not sure if this would suffice in the USA.

Gareth
You have to realize that in the US pretty much everything is regulated and tailored towards protection (rules and insurance) against predatory attorneys and litigation. Sueing businesses and people over 'personal injuries' are considered a viable and ligitimate industry here.
An industry such as diving seems to be extra vunerable because of how problems underwater can end up being very dangerous or deadly. Divers can't just pull to the side of the road for a flat on a bicycle, or lay there after a fall waiting for the ski rescue patrol. Just think if a person claimed they were an expert drysuit diver, so the shop rents them a dry suit. Next thing you know they rocket to the surface from 120' because of a stuck exhaust valve or some other problem and embolize or die because they weren't an expert and had no idea how to use one or the safety protocols necessary. I'm not saying a drysuit card will cure that problem, but at least the shop has something they can show in court to protect themselves against the inevitable lawsuit. In fact all of the seemingly silly dive shop rules in the US stem from the fear of litigation IMO.

Last edited:
Two points.

1. Having some form of formal 'drysuit' training is beneficial. It gives a structure to the basics of drysuit diving. Ultimately, practical experience, is what you need. Nothing substitutes for in water practical dive time.

2. I can fully understand the request to see a drysuit qualification card prior to hiring a suit to an individual, although it is extremely irritating.
That said, my agency (BSAC) at one point proposed dropping 'drysuit qualification cards', on the basis that there was no requirement. Ultimately you can still apply for a drysuit card. Despite the fact that the vast majority of BSAC divers use drysuits, and have completed the drysuit course, very few UK divers ever apply for the card. (After all, we all own our own and dive in drysuits the majority of the time).
I do have an endorsement in my old qualification book. But I never carry the book, and would never think to carry a drysuit card if I had one.
On the few occasions in the uk when we (as a group) have needed a drysuit, one of us will just hand over an instructor card. I am not sure if this would suffice in the USA.

Gareth
In an effort to assist BSAC members the organisation issued this guidance last year:
BSAC formally started recording on members’ records if they were competent in a drysuit. BSAC training is frequently conducted in drysuits in the UK and the Diver Q-card forms have been modified to allow recording of competence. All branches have been contacted to ask Diving Officers/Training Officers to update members’ records for this and many have. If you check your online record and find the record missing please contact your Diving Officer to ask them to confirm to drt@bsac.com

My point wasn't that training wasn't required, it was that a card wasn't required. You can get well trained without getting a card, in fact, your instructor may help your bride with mad bcd remove replace skills.

Other than the skills already mentioned here, I'd add that it's important to understand the possible consequences of seals that are not cut to fit the diver, and are too tight. The carotid sinus reflex can lead to blackout, and wrist seals that are too tight can get your hands bent. To me, learning about the former, in particular, was worth the price of the course.

CHRISCH. So what is the "right" way to control you buoyancy in a dry suit and what is "wrong" with using the suit for buoyancy?

Many thanks to all who responded to this thread. Neither the wife nor I have issues with BCD and weight system removal on the surface or donning the weights on the surface. The only issue we have is donning the BCD on the surface.

Wilda has read all your responses with great interest and has decided to practise removal and donning in the pool. She will take the drysuit class irregardless of the outcome and not worry about the certification if she fails that part if the class.

Many thanks to all who responded to this thread. Neither the wife nor I have issues with BCD and weight system removal on the surface or donning the weights on the surface. The only issue we have is donning the BCD on the surface.

Wilda has read all your responses with great interest and has decided to practise removal and donning in the pool. She will take the drysuit class irregardless of the outcome and not worry about the certification if she fails that part if the class.

Assuming she wears a typical 2" webbing harness and can't successfully develop the skill, perhaps she should consider adding a quick release clip to one of the shoulder straps.

Unlike my singles rig where the harness freely slides to whatever length I need, I added a QRC to my doubles rig as it doesn't slide and got sick of fighting to get in it.

Here's an example. Note the clip on the left shoulder. This could simply be added by cutting the webbing and threading it through the clip. Add some tri-glides to secure the tag ends or just sew them in.

dr-bc1080q_1b.jpg

The biggest issue I see with people trying to put on a bc of any type on the surface is that they have way too much air them. Regardless of what type they are, if the air cell is too buoyant then the unit sits too high in the water and becomes almost impossible to don. The best thing I found is to let out enough air so the bc is neutral and almost ready to sink. This makes it possible to back up to it and put it on like it's sitting on a bench.
I don't know what else to tell you, but I've been there and seen too many people try to get into something that want's to float, most of the time front down. This puts the diver face down under the rig trying to get the bc on. Finding the waist straps and trying to get them pulled around and fastened while trying to overcome the buoyancy of air in the bc becomes a clown show.
That's why I suggest emptying as much air as possible out of the bc, it will aleviate much of you problems.

Last edited:
CHRISCH. So what is the "right" way to control you buoyancy in a dry suit and what is "wrong" with using the suit for buoyancy?
The dry suit is there to keep you dry and warm, not to control buoyancy with. That's what the bcd/wing is for. The dry suit should only hold enough air to avoid squeeze and give loft to your insulation. All you buoyancy needs should be covered by the bcd. This minimises workload and reduces the amount of air you need to juggle.

Back
Top Bottom