Requesting Stickies to Limit my Slippa' In Mouth Disease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Every few days we get very similar requests in the Hawaii Ohana; which Islands are best, what times of year are best, what dive shops are best, what boats are best, what dives are best? While the answer should vary widely for each visitor, there have been better answers and better answerers but not every inquiry gets them.

The first Sticky I'm suggesting is one I see in the computer technical forums often; How to Submit a Post / Read Before Posting. It is much easier to answer someones questions if we know a little about them. Let us know; how many are you, what are your skill levels (# & types of dives), any non-divers in group, are there specific reasons for diving in the Islands, favorite top-side activities, etc. Let them know they may be able to mostly answer or better compose their question by checking out the other Stickies.

Another Sticky could be By Island and Season. Here we could list best times for different critters and sides of each island a little more in-depthly than North is best in Summer, South is best in Winter when the Whales are here and there are less tourists in the Fall. For instance, we could point out that for some locations late January has good to great diving (barring infrequent storms), many whales and not so many tourists.

Finally and most importantly to me today, Dive Charter Overview / Recommendations. For Maui I believe Charlie99 has put forth the most balanced review of the dive charters. He seems to be one of the few that has personal experience with all the different charter companies. I would nominate that post to be the foundation for the Maui section of the Dive Charter Sticky. Then when Charlie is not posting we can refer newbies to the Sticky.

For all you B&B loyalists, contrary to how a recent thread sounded, I believe B&B is by far the reasonably priced quality charter on Maui. There price is even better if you go more than once. That said, each Kihei charter delivers a different product which works out well because each diver is unique so there could never be one charter for every diver. You don't really think every diver in the world should stay in a condo in Kihei in the Fall and dive only with B&B, do you?

These Stickies would minimize the stupid things I and others post trying to give life to the same boring questions week after week after week. I encourage all interested Ohana SB'ers to weigh in with suggestions and/or corrections. Maybe even a section on do's and don't of the 'Revealed book series. It would be nice if the answers we give here were fair and balanced, I know I wish mine were!

I believe this should be moved to whine and who cares......

Steve,

I'm with you on getting something like this, but I'm not sure Stickies are the way to go -- this forum software puts them on EVERY page of that forum, which gets really annoying when you have it set to display only 20 threads (the default, I think), and the top half-dozen on each page are stickies.

Perhaps a sub-forum of "FAQs" would be better, with one sticky pointing people to that first. Then we could actually setup something with a bunch of different threads -- like "where to stay on Maui" and "where to stay on the Big Island" etc.

I do thoroughly agree that it would be nice if people RTFM'd first, that's for sure. Though I have very much enjoyed some of the answers given to some of the people on here... something about one hand out and one hand between the cheeks and see which one fills first rings a bell... :D

-kb

Wildcard:
I believe this should be moved to whine and who cares......

A few things I agree with the OP, otherwise it does have the overall tone of yet another "Do a Search" post.

Just like with any other thread on SB asking for recommendations, people are simply relaying their experiences both good and bad with a particular vendor. To change that would change the overall tone of this board, and I don't think I would like the results.

I also don't know why the many recommendations of B&B would evoke such emotion. While I also enjoyed my time with Lahaina Divers, I won't get upset if people say they didn't like their experience with them as some have.

RonDawg:
A few things I agree with the OP, otherwise it does have the overall tone of yet another "Do a Search" post.

I also don't know why the many recommendations of B&B would evoke such emotion. While I also enjoyed my time with Lahaina Divers, I won't get upset if people say they didn't like their experience with them.

Just like with any other thread on SB asking for recommendations, people are simply relaying their experiences with a particular outfit, both good and bad. Nothing wrong with that.
People have loyalties and will defend them. We've seen it come up for other operators here, too.

It would be nice if we had everything put together in one spot so when people posted, the first "local" to see it could simply throw the link (to another SB thread) in there.

KrisB:
It would be nice if we had everything put together in one spot so when people posted, the first "local" to see it could simply throw the link (to another SB thread) in there.

I agree this would be nice. Another site I frequent is www.flyertalk.com, they have a section on destination travel, and a local from the destination is kind enough to post a sticky and keep it updated with current info as much as possible. Its a big job sometimes.

Halemano - Great post and great idea. I agree that too often the best advice simply gets missed by a poster because the author is offline for a couple days diving (now why would they go and do that?). Charlie99's post is the best I've seen, and if I could just find it I'd repost it every chance I got.

The only potential problem is what Kris mentions where the Hawaii forum becomes a series of stickies (see the I2I forum for what he's pointing out lol) But perhaps a single sticky for FAQ's and links to some of these others would work well... I'd say a "sticky" forum, but I dislike subforums and think whatever the contents are get missed out on.

again, good idea, maybe we can find a way to implement it and present it to a Mod.

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom