Requesting information about diving the Blue Hole, Belize in December this year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm Les. I will be diving the Blue Hole, Belize in December, staying at the Itza Lodge on Lighthouse Caye. Has anyone stayed there? I understand they do not offer nitrox. Thoughts?

Fyi, I am SSI advanced certified. I have logged 186 dives since April 20, 2014. By the time I dive in December I will have logged over 200 dives in the past 20 months. My SSI specialties include rescue, deep, night, nitrox, and navigation. I will be using my own dive gear and will only need tanks and fills.

Any information/recommendations will be appreciated!

Thank you.

Dr. Les

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about your question. First, I've not stayed at Itza, so can't help you there. I have been in the Blue Hole a number of times. Do you have a question about that?

There have been many discussions of the Blue Hole here. Try search.

Consensus is that that while it is a unique "one time" dive, the actual u/w experience can be less interesting than a good wall dive or or a vibrant reef. There is nothing to see until you get to about 130'. Seeing the stalactites practically demands exceeding that depth., so the time is very limited.

However, there is other wonderful diving all around the Lighthouse area, regardless.

Yoyodine, have you dove the Blue Hole? I dive it at 130' every time. There's a little sand area at about 150', that I'm intrigued by, yet I don't descend there. I enjoy this dive and since the OP is going to be in the area and it's offered, with his credentials why shouldn't he find out for himself?

Yes, dove the Blue Hole long ago. (I worked offshore in BZ.)
I'm not suggesting he shouldn't do it. Only that he have realistic expectations.

As I recall it, it was a blank 'elevator shaft' wall until the ceiling opens out just above 130'. Many divers exceed that depth, accidently or deliberately.

It is a bucket list dive, okay, but I've had many many more satisfying/exciting dives on the Belize atoll walls, canyons, and patch reefs.
Or even other caverns in BZ. Ever hear of the Black Hole?

I happen to be there (here) right now. Not staying at that location but as stated it's a hole. Unique on the planet but not in the top 100 dive sites I've visited. At that location you'll be far from any/everywhere except the atoll. There is better (to me) dive sites if you're heading to Belize but don't let that shy you away from The Big Blue Hole.

Back
Top Bottom