Requesting comments on Canon Powershot G2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrtonkin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting into digital photo. and this is one of the cameras I've been looking at. Of course, I want to be able to do some UW work, as well as land work, and was wondering if anyone had... Most of the Canons talked about on the board seem to be A/S 30/40s.

So any comments about the G2? Either about it's
photographic quality as a land camera, or any difficulties in adapting it for UW use...

Thanks,

Jamie

HI:

I've never used or held a G2, but I've read a bit about it. First off, almost every review rates it as one of the best or THE best 4MP camera. I've read that the S series uses the same guts as the G series.

The biggest difference between G20 and S series is size. G2 is much bigger and 18 oz versus 11oz for S. The S fits nicely into a shirt pocket or even into your jean pocket. So topside, it's a lot more convienent.

The other big difference for UW users is cases. Canon makes a case for the S series for only $160 online. I'm pretty sure (not positive) they do not make one for the G. That means another manufacturer for $700-$1000.

Your first step is to read the 12 page review at imaging resource.

Here's a link: < http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G2/G2A.HTM>

Also check the link to a review I wrote on the S30. It was just posted the other day.

Gerry

Hmmm... Hadn't considered the S40 particularly. The lack of a hot-shoe seemed like it would be a major problem, since I doubt the in-camera flash on most compacts is up to UW work, and complaints about a weak flash are one of the few cons listed in most revies of the S30/40. Still, the size and weight difference is pretty significant.

I'd noticed that there was a canon-made housing for the S30, and hadn't seen one for the G2, that's one of the things that prompted me to ask about difficulties in using it... Seems odd that they'd make a housing for one but not the other.

Thanks for the pointer to the imaging-resource review though... I was originally pointed at the G2 by the staff at the LPS, and the review on http://www.dpreveiw.com certainly was impressive.

Jamie

I have a friend who has one of the Elph series with a housing. I takes pretty good pics but I'm not sure about larger prints from it.

That's the extent of my Canon knowledge! Pitiful, ain;t it? :huh:

jrtonkin once bubbled...
Hmmm... Hadn't considered the S40 particularly. The lack of a hot-shoe seemed like it would be a major problem, since I doubt the in-camera flash on most compacts is up to UW work, and complaints about a weak flash are one of the few cons listed

From the research I've done, it seems like both Ikelite and S&S make digital flashes that synch without a hotshoe. Remember, you must use an UW strobe designed for a digital camera. Normal strobes will be fooled by the preflash and not work properly.

As far as topside, I've had no problem with the flash being week. I've shot groups of ten people from a proper distance with no problem. Also UW, the problem with oncamera flash isn't quantity of light as much as it is angle. The built in picks up any crap in the water and causes backscatter. You can get great results in clear water, especially when close. If you've checked out my review linked in the other thread, all of those UW shots were taken with the on camera flash.

GB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom