Request: review the scuba gear information on our club web page

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calwolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm the President of a Scuba club at Utah State University, and I just posted a bunch of information about scuba gear on our club web site. The information is intended to give people new to diving an overview of the gear involved, and a little knowledge of what's available before making any purchasing decisions (which is especially important where we are, since we don't really have a dive shop in town that they can go browse through). I'd love it if some of you would review the pages and let me know how I could make it better (information I should either add or remove, or comments on site navigation or anything else). Any additional information from experienced divers would be really useful to me, as what I've got there now tends to be just my own ideas and opinions based on what I know.

The scuba gear section of our page starts at:

http://www.usu.edu/scuba/scuba_gear_home.html

You could either reply to this post, PM me, or send an email directly to the address on the web page.

Thanks,

Jesse Walker
President, USU Scuba Club

I'd love it if some of you would review the pages and let me know how I could make it better (information I should either add or remove, or comments on site navigation or anything else).

I'd be especially careful about reflecting your own bias on the site. It's hard for any writer to NOT reflect their own bias, of course, but you should shoot for "just the facts." Since the site is intended for newbies they will probably take whatever you say as gospel. For instance, you can see someone saying "Utah State University says I don't need a snorkle."

No, the site says "Jesse Walker doesn't use one." Jesse Walker could be an idiot.

Not saying that you are, but you get the idea. In short, any place where you use "I" or "me" or "my" should probably be rethought.

Better to say: here's a snorkle, here's what it's for, all the major agencies require them for certification, though some people don't use them in certain situations.

Overall you need to think about the flow of the story and what the reader will take away. Another fer-instance. The first and only mask you show on the site is a Hydro-optix? Again, it's not unreasonable for a newbie to conclude that must be the best one - they thought enough of it to show a picture of it and mention it by name. I'd suggest that you show a picture of a "standard" dive mask as the only image on this page. Also, WAY too much information for a newbie to digest. Do they really need to know about neoprene straps, much less a comparison of different types of neoprene straps? No mention about field of view, probably one of the most important differences between masks. (Second only to fit.)

From a flow standpoint, you will probably LOSE the majority of your readers at the bottom of that page. Why? Look at your last line of that page: "There is more information available on scuba.com on choosing a dive mask." Since you just put the reader in the frame of mind to WANT more info on choosing a mask, guess where they're going next?

Your fin page is confusing, fairly inaccurate and/or based on your own biases:

"There are two ways that fins can be classified: first, warm water or cold water (also called "full foot" and "open heel" fins. Full foot fins have a pocket that slips directly over your foot, like a sock. They will work in warm water only. "Open heel" fins are meant to be used with a dive boot, and most won't really work without one. These can be used in either warm or cold water, and are more of an "all-purpose" fin (all of the fins pictured on this page have an open heel). Many fin designs only come in open heel styles, while some come in both.

If the two ways fins are classified is "warm" and "cold" and the "cold" is "open heel" but the "open heel" can be used in either "warm or cold" then "warm or cold" is obviously NOT the way that fins are classified.

Lastly, you MUST stop using parantheses! (Why?) I'll tell you why. (As soon as you're done reading this parenthetical thought (forgive me for picking on your writing style) for which I apologize) which I add as an example (perhaps a poor one (but an example nonetheless)) of how hard (sometimes VERY hard) it can be to follow the writer's point (sometimes, but not always) when they use parenthetical (eg using parentheses) statements (like this one) in their writing. (Know what I mean?)(By now you must!)(I hope.)

:crafty:

After the "Jesse Walker says BUY FORCE FINS endorsement" I left the site.

After the "Jesse Walker says BUY FORCE FINS endorsement" I left the site.

OK, so I was curious and went back to see what was next. And was immediately struck by the inaccuracy of your "there are two ways a wetsuit keeps you warm" description. Sort of like the fin page, you oversimplify the matter to the point of confusion.

Agree with RJP , way too much info for newbies. As well I saw nowhere the mention of the most important thing to consider is comfort and fit with a mask. Everything else is secondary. I got as far as the fins and my eyes couldn't take it any more. Too wordy and words too close together. Less personal opinion would be advised as well unless you are trying to direct them to you to buy gear. Good effort but needs editing and why a different page for everything? Masks and snorkels could go on one page, fins & boots on another. Tie things together.

I disagree with the suggestion of ebay. Once a diver has experience with gear and knows exactly what they want and exactly what size, and they know what questions to ask and what views of the product to view for wear.... then its ok. when I saw something about $10 or a used mask on ebay... I thought well hat will waste $10 plus shipping for someone!

"A drysuit works a little differently: the neck and wrist seals are excellent, and an integrated boot of some kind is included, so no water whatsoever gets into the suit while you're diving, keeping you totally dry."

I'm also gonna go out on a limb and guess that you've never actual dived in a dry suit.

:D

>Full foot fins have a pocket that slips directly over your foot, like a sock. They will work in warm water only.<

Sorry, full-foot fins will also work in cold water. I always use them when I snorkel in the cold North Sea off the North East coast of England. Full-foot fins can also be worn over neoprene socks and booties - some full-footed fins, e.g. Apollo Biofins and Gull Mew fins, are indeed designed to be worn with boots. Remember that open-heel fins are just the preferred option, or current fashion, of scuba divers today. Modern freedivers prefer full-foot fins. When I started in the 1960s, the preferred choice for scuba was full-foot. Who knows what the preferred choice will be in a decade or two?

I would have thought a good fit in terms of foot length and width was the primary criterion when selecting fins. Only then should other considerations such as material and rigidity come into play. You shouldn't be recommending particular brands of fins before providing novices with a fin selection problem-solving process first. Fins are very personal items of gear and depend on individual stamina and what price is placed on power, endurance and manoeuvrability in the water. Consider defining the problems first before leaping to the possible solutions.

Thank you all for your suggestions... the material posted is obviously still in "rough draft" form, and you've helped me realize it still needs quite a bit of polishing (I haven't announced it to the club yet). I'll try to incorporate as many of the ideas you've given me as I can, especially making it more general in nature and reducing the amount of bias I've incorporated into the pages.

Thanks,

--Jesse

I'm curious if you got copyright permission to post those images.

Back
Top Bottom