Request for opinions about tethers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason I like stainless over brass is due to the spring. The spring in a brass bolt snap is not stainless. It is a metal spring. This means rust over time. Which makes the brass snap useless. It is also not as smooth to operate compared to a stainless bolt snap.The stainless snap has a stainless spring. Which by all accounts will not rust out. So your snap will last that much longer.

Since switching to a marine grade stainless clip...no worries for rusting out that spring. even after a trip south..a good rinse, those snaps are still snapping. They cost more, but the cost is worth it IMO. I use the largest clips available...I have 3 inch clips and or 4 5/8 inch clips for all if not most of my clip-ables. Since I use them big drygloves, smaller clips does not work well for me.

I also use a bolt snap called a butterfly snap.
Stainless Steel Snaps - Dive Gear Express

In that link...the BUTTERFLY snap, I love these, makes for clipping on quicker especially with drygloves on.

Mine was an impulse purchase while visiting the Reef retail store. I had a homemade version that uses a spear gun shock cord and two snap bolts at each end. This one looked cooler being professional black and all :wink:.

N

Mine was an impulse purchase while visiting the Reef retail store. I had a homemade version that uses a spear gun shock cord and two snap bolts at each end. This one looked cooler being professional black and all :wink:.

N

Any idea on a make or link?

Here is my home-built lanyard setup.

IMG_7514.jpg

For surface carry or passing from the boat. If you don't care about the upper bolt snaps, you can also wrap the sling around the left strobe arm knob - but it's slightly shorter and less comfortable.

IMG_7516.jpg

Ready to shoot - or as ready as it gets considering there is no water anywhere close and the camera is outside the housing.

IMG_7517.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

Lanyard stowed, for storage or for slinging like a stage bottle. Right double-ender gets attached to the left chest D-ring, left double ender to the waist D-ring.

The additional piece of bungee you can see under the camera is tied to a white balance card stored between the housing and the tray.

Here is my home-built lanyard setup.

The additional piece of bungee you can see under the camera is tied to a white balance card stored between the housing and the tray.

Very nice..! Thanks for the pix... that looks like a good system, especially if you have a long swim without shooting.

I think that it is this one...

Yeah, I think that is it. It is plenty strong for a compact but for a dSLR rig I might recommend something even more sturdy.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom