Request for information not covered in any course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef hooks can be cool but I've had some struggles with those too if the current is really kicking. You can lose your mask, reg wants out of your mouth, etc. Ergo, this is a learning situation as well. Of course, that's underwater and not the situation OP is trying to resolve.

I got caught in a screaming current once. I happened by a reef buoy and grabbed hold. I was immediately pulled under and my mask almost ripped off. Won’t do that again. I can’t imagine trying to hold a position for any length of time that way.

I got caught in a screaming current once. I happened by a reef buoy and grabbed hold. I was immediately pulled under and my mask almost ripped off. Won’t do that again. I can’t imagine trying to hold a position for any length of time that way.

One learns how to do it properly and even be able to take photos/video.

Because of a recent near death incident I’ve become very concerned about the things I may not have been taught, that I might be (probably am) overlooking, or that I would never even imagine could happen.

This is a rather nebulous request. Perhaps a good place to start is simply to consider "what could go wrong here?" before you plan any dive, solo or otherwise. Take into account environmental factors (depth, current, temperature, tides, current and forecast weather conditions, marine life, unstable structures or bottom conditions, etc.).

Most critically, honestly evaluate the limitations of your training, experience and equipment. In my experience, this is the hardest thing for divers to do (recreational, professional or commercial), and where they fail more often than not. I have had family, friends and co-workers seriously injured because of a false sense of security due to their bravado. On the best side of bad, my mother regained consciousness in a chamber after getting drawn down to a ridiculous depth in an undercurrent she thought she could handle. On the worst side of bad, a coworker (commercial diver) was recreational diving on his own time, "had done the math" and learned too late he did not have enough breathing gas to support the breathing device he had selected at the planned dive depth. He ended up dying of AGE following a mad dash to the surface. He was with a group of people who did not know how to ID the symptoms, or realize that we had a decompression chamber not too far away from their scuba dive site. They didn't know to call us, didn't know who to call, didn't know how to respond and likely assumed that he would, the victim.

It is basic contingency planning and respecting the nature of what you are setting out to do. What are your hazards, what is the likelihood those hazards can actually harm you, and what resources do you have available to be able to react appropriately if those "what if's" were to take place? If you don't take these questions seriously you should stick to dry land.

After much thought and considering all advice I've arrived at a much revised set of rules for my diving. I expect that I will continue to revise them as I continue to dive and I experience other situations or ideas.

I don't expect them to apply to anyone else but me, nor to be adopted by anyone else but me. They are specific to me, my personal rules, and what I feel safe with. I'm only posting because I asked and people responded, and this is the result. I am in no way pushing these in any way.

My Personal SCUBA Rules

You are always diving solo no matter how many divers are in the water, or how many buddies you have, or what certifications they have, or how much experience they have, or what you discussed during the dive plan, or how well they are equipped.

If you make a non-trivial mistake gearing up or on a dive - abort. If you aren’t focused enough to gear up perfectly. or aren’t focused enough to avoid non-trivial mistakes during the dive, you aren’t focused enough to dive solo. Two mistakes in one day means you are way off and need a time out – no more dives that day.

Never enter the water if you can’t comfortably do a long surface swim in full gear on snorkel. This is an easy way to decide if the conditions are too harsh not an intention to do that.

Always take a compass bearing from the entry point (boat or shore) to the reef* and know the distance to the reef. Failing to do so is a non-trivial mistake.

Always check for current as soon as you hit depth. Make a current check at each third of your air. Failing to do so is a non-trivial mistake.

If the conditions are different or worse than what you expected (surge, current, topography etc.) or if there is any uncertainty immediately abort.

On a boat:

If the dive briefing does not cover emergency diver recall and diver in distress protocols, ASK. Should they not describe acceptable procedures don’t dive. NOTE: Prior to booking this should be asked of the dive op. On the boat, this is a check to make sure the crew is competent in emergency situations and aware of procedures.

If the dive briefing does not cover distance to reef, direction to reef, size and shape of reef, depth of reef, special features of reef and all conditions including visibility, surge, and current, ASK. If they are unable to answer you should consider not diving, depending on observable conditions. If you dive be ready to abort.

* Reef = a specific objective or area in salt or fresh water, not just a coral reef.

It is basic contingency planning and respecting the nature of what you are setting out to do. What are your hazards, what is the likelihood those hazards can actually harm you, and what resources do you have available to be able to react appropriately if those "what if's" were to take place? If you don't take these questions seriously you should stick to dry land.

This is good advice and works well a lot of the time. It does rely on being able to identify all the potential hazards in advance....but sometimes things happen that are quite difficult to reasonably forsee. That's when people get hurt.

Several years ago I was taking an on site avalanche course with a number of others who hiked, skied or snowmobiled the backcountry in winter. The purpose of the course was to help us identify avalanche conditions, prepare for rescue if necessary and generally travel safely in the west coast mountains. During a break one of the participants looked at us and said "you know if you won't admit that this sport can kill you, you shouldn't be out here". She was right and although scuba diving is inherently safe, the sentiment still applies.

After much thought and considering all advice I've arrived at a much revised set of rules for my diving. I expect that I will continue to revise them as I continue to dive and I experience other situations or ideas.

I don't expect them to apply to anyone else but me, nor to be adopted by anyone else but me. They are specific to me, my personal rules, and what I feel safe with. I'm only posting because I asked and people responded, and this is the result. I am in no way pushing these in any way.

My Personal SCUBA Rules

Those all sound reasonable to me.

This is good advice and works well a lot of the time. It does rely on being able to identify all the potential hazards in advance....but sometimes things happen that are quite difficult to reasonably forsee.

Think this covers it: "If the conditions are different or worse than what you expected (surge, current, topography etc.) or if there is any uncertainty immediately abort."

After reading this It would be nice if some credible sources would produce some videos on several topics or aspects of diving. I know that might be cutting into someones profits but none the less very useful. for new divers and many more One can cover topics in a manor that will say .... If I were to create a course on this subject,, this is what it would contain and why, It would include video in pool IE for bouyancy or things like use of BC inflator hoses while ascending. We have so many videos on face book but there is still something lacking. I remember the G3 videos on DIR. very informative. They described the process,, gave the reasons why etc.. all those things that are missing form any standard course. Can you imagine a 30-60 minute video on computers. how to set up your computer to accomodate your specific dive. what you should consider to properly determine computer settings as it would apply to your dive or computer model being used. Or even a over all dicsussion on deco for the beginner or the rec diver and how it applies to them. These are again things that are not available in any normal class you take.

I used the computer example because of what i had discovered in relation to computers and the variety of models of deco that is implemented,,, which are known for being liberal etc that info is useful as to how you set up consevatism settings. The more info out there the better the computer can serve as a tool rather than ballast. Another topic wold be DIR for beginners. that would surely get new divers thinking and perhaps help to avoid buying the same garbage gear over and over again. You dont have to address makers but rather functional aspects and hoe they are beneficial to divers.

PERHAPS A SECTION OF THE BOARD DEVOTED TO VIDEOS

The purpose of the course was to help us identify avalanche conditions, prepare for rescue if necessary and generally travel safely in the west coast mountains. During a break one of the participants looked at us and said "you know if you won't admit that this sport can kill you, you shouldn't be out here". She was right and although scuba diving is inherently safe, the sentiment still applies.

I totally concur with this outlook.

I strive to treat my dives like something is going to bend me, separate me or kill me.

Back
Top Bottom