Republic of Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rtapia

Reaction score
Has anybody ever went to Panama on a diving trip ?
Are there any diving resorts, boats? You always hear about Costa Rica nd other Central American countries, but never Panama, why is that?
Any idea?
Ron:confused:

I did a trip last year to Panama. I, too, found it strange that no one said anything about it. There's a live-aboard on the pacific side that gets a little p.r. but one never hears about the caribbean side. We went to Bocas Del Toro, islands up in the northeast - near the Costa Rican border. The diving is just ok. It's a poor area and fishing subsistence fishing is big. Coral in good shape and lots of small things (good for macro). We dove with Bocas Water Sports. Owned by a texas expat and run by a local guy. Very laid back. One dive in the a.m. Back for lunch. One dive in the p.m.

But, man, is it CHEAP! Dinner for my wife and I at a place the locals eat was $7...total. You can spend more, but not much. Our room at a clean 6 room locally-owned place was $22 per night. Very laid-back trip, but not spectacular diving.

Oh, and the Abuelo rum is excellent.

If you want more info pm me.

Originally posted by rtapia
Has anybody ever went to Panama on a diving trip ?
Are there any diving resorts, boats? You always hear about Costa Rica nd other Central American countries, but never Panama, why is that?
Any idea?
Ron:confused:

A group of us took the Coral Star out of David for a week in late February 2001, diving on the Pacific side at the western end of Panama. Very interesting diving - lots of fish, especially at one site; current and surge at some sites; a thermocline often present at 40 to 60 feet. Rather challenging diving that week. Boat is luxurious and very good food and service.

Back
Top Bottom