Reptillian Snake Eel (Yes, Anilao again)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marriard

Contributor
Reaction score
For me this was a satisfying image as I specifically was looking for this Eel on this dive. Dive site was Basura in Anilao, The Philippines.

This meant I looked at basically every rock on a rocky bottom from about 7' deep to 20' deep for 65 minutes until I found this one (although I stopped to photograph everything else interesting I came across as well.) The eye is the only give away - you can actually poke this eel and it STILL wont move or react.

So how do you find this sort of critter. Here is what I knew before I got in the water:

1. Such Eels exist. They have weird eyes, but otherwise don't move much
2. They live in the rocky bottom pretending to be one of the rocks in shallow water - looking above 20' was going to be a good strategy
3. They have been seen in the area before (specifically I had seen one at this dive site and photographed it previously)
4. The eye over-exposes and reflects light easily - so bracket a lot. Also the rocks at the site have a lot of white specks which can be moved

2006-08-14_15-58-31.jpg

2006-08-14_15-57-11.jpg

2006-08-14_15-55-09.jpg

You can see a full gallery of this Eel at:
http://www.deepseaimages.com/dsilibrary/showgallery.php?cat=1254

Enjoy,
M

In the Hawaii's Fishes book they call it : Henshaw's Snake Eel ( the crocodile snake eel)

Nice shots of the eel.

Awesome shot, Marriard! You can see it snake-like eyes..This eel does not move an inch even taking several shots of it. Here's a photo of a snake eel I took of at Basura.

Wonderful shot Marriard, glad you got to find what you're looking for.
That's always a satisfying feeling..

Love the markings and colouration, looks a bit smaller than most of the other eels i've seen...
Nice shot Celina :).

M if I may ask, what's your rig??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom