Reported Stranding of 500 Dolphins in Bataan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have an update on the one melon-headed whale that was taken to Ocean Adventure Park in Subic Bay? I heard it was a pregnant female, but no updates since. I did email Ocean Adventures, but they did not respond back to my email inquiry.

By the way: Melon-headed whales are part of the dolphin family. They belong to a group that is known as "blackfish". The following dolphins are part of this group also:

Killer Whale (Orca), Orcinus orca
Long-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala melas
Short-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus
False Killer Whale, Pseudorca crassidens
Pygmy Killer Whale, Feresa attenuata
Melon-headed Whale, Peponocephala electra

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Lock Washer

Iv'e heard from a reliable source who works at OA that she has given birth already and the offspring are doing fine for the time being

Iv'e heard from a reliable source who works at OA that she has given birth already and the offspring are doing fine for the time being

Takes for the update. You wouldn't happen to know if they plan on releasing the animals back into the wild if both animals are healthy, or if they plan on keeping them for display. Which incidently would make Ocean Adventure Park the only park that has a melon-headed whales on display.

Another question: Is Ocean Adventure Park down to one false killer whale in captivity. The last time I was there in August of 2007 they had two of them.

Thanks,

Lock Washer

hay, after Bataan, now I'm suddenly heading to Romblon tomorrow to collect water samples..

Does anyone have any updates on the stranded melon-headed whale that gave birth at Ocean Adventure Park?

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom