Report on Weeki Wachee New Years dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This was a very inresting way to ring in the new year. First you gotta love living in florida the weather was just perfect you couldn't have asked for better about 66 at midnight. There were only about 15 divers, I was suprised that more did not turn out. Oh well more spring for me. First dive was at 8:30 and lasted about 45 mins. There was a manatee in the springs but he was in no mood for divers and left as soon as we entered the water.
Seen the usual freshwater fish plus multiple people take pictures of us from the mermaid theater. The spring lit up at night gave it a very cool look and made the surface shimmer.Then we had about a 2HR break grab food and drink.Nice buffett and folks to pass the time with swapping storys and catching up with those I had not seen in a while. We entered the water at about 11:45 for the new years dive and watched tv from the mermaid platform waiting for David Letterman to show us the ball dropping. Not sure why but he didnt show the ball dropping instead we were signaled by folks jumping around and flashing the lights in the mermaid theater. There seem to be much more life in the spring this time inculding many large bass, bluegills a freshwater eel and a very large snook about 25 lbs. It was a great way to ring in the New Year with my life long dive buddy (wife) and some new and old friends.

cardzard:
This was a very inresting way to ring in the new year. First you gotta love living in florida the weather was just perfect you couldn't have asked for better about 66 at midnight. There were only about 15 divers, I was suprised that more did not turn out. Oh well more spring for me. First dive was at 8:30 and lasted about 45 mins. There was a manatee in the springs but he was in no mood for divers and left as soon as we entered the water.
Seen the usual freshwater fish plus multiple people take pictures of us from the mermaid theater. The spring lit up at night gave it a very cool look and made the surface shimmer.Then we had about a 2HR break grab food and drink.Nice buffett and folks to pass the time with swapping storys and catching up with those I had not seen in a while. We entered the water at about 11:45 for the new years dive and watched tv from the mermaid platform waiting for David Letterman to show us the ball dropping. Not sure why but he didnt show the ball dropping instead we were signaled by folks jumping around and flashing the lights in the mermaid theater. There seem to be much more life in the spring this time inculding many large bass, bluegills a freshwater eel and a very large snook about 25 lbs. It was a great way to ring in the New Year with my life long dive buddy (wife) and some new and old friends.

I wish I'd have driven down to do it. Maybe next year! Thanks for the report.
Kurt

IslandHopper:
Is diving WW something a person can do anytime ??

I spend a lot of time in NewPrtRichey when I'm in the states and that sounds like it would be a fun diversion !

Hello
You can't dive the spring anytime but they have opened it up to the LDS.
There is also quite a few other springs in the area within 1 to 1 1/2 hrs drive including Devils Den, Blue springs and the Crystal River system that includes King springs, 3 Sisters and the Gator Hole. There are manatees in there almost year around and in winter time schools of Tarpon and other saltwater fish can be seen. Also the Rainbow river is popular drift dive.
Hope this answers your question.

My diving around there has (in the past) been limited to snorkeling in the Pithlachascotee, and in the canals at Gulf Harbours ... now that I dive, it would be fun to do some fresh-water springs.

I'll have to try it out when I'm back there in June and July ... what's the name of the LDS ?

IslandHopper:
My diving around there has (in the past) been limited to snorkeling in the Pithlachascotee, and in the canals at Gulf Harbours ... now that I dive, it would be fun to do some fresh-water springs.

I'll have to try it out when I'm back there in June and July ... what's the name of the LDS ?

We have 2 LDS
Scuba west in Hudson
Sunny seas in New Port Richey
Both are good operations could help with any of your diving.

We did our (wife and I) rescue class with Wayne and the gang at Sunny Seas and then dove Weekie at night while we visited too. Nice folks. I will dive with them again!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom