REPORT : Navy Tug and Atlantis 8/27/2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did an offhsore trip with Down Under on Sunday. The morning looked list we might get some rain, it held off all day. The seas were flat with a little breeze. Left dock a little after 8 and I was in the water by 9:25.

First dive of the day with the Navy Tug. Got down quickly to enjoy pretty good vis. I'd say it was 70' From an elevated angle I could see the entire tug. The wreck held a cloud of small bait fish when I arrived. Couple of cudas stuck around on the outskirts.
Navy Tug Photo Gallery

THere were some large jellyfish around, but were easily avoidable. Following along the deck rail I found this hind and an arrow crab. Also in the area was a juvenile blue angelfish and a bristleworm.

Dive last for 41 minutes with a max depth of 81'. I never it made down the hull so is atleast several more feet to the sand. Water temp was 85f.

Second dive was on Atlantis. This is a bridge rubble site with a couple of upright column formations and debris. Vis was 30 with more particulate and jellyfish. Still no problem dodging the jellies. Dive lasted 34 minutes with max depth at 76'. There was strong surface current that wasn't apparent below 20'. Along the base of the column I watched as spades and bait fish worked on a piece of concrete.
Atlantis Proto Gallery
A blue angelfish came along and moved the spades away.
On the east side of the rubble there were octopi in crevices. One appeared to be a local octo'billy finishing off a natural lite.
Below the beer guzzling octo was another hanging out with cardinal fish and some highhats.
Weather held for the return trip in. Seas had layed down even more. This was another great day of diving on the Down Under with their excellent Capt and crew.

Great report dnos, cool pictures too. I still don't have any shots of that little green spotted grouperish looking fish. Skittish, they be!

I need to learn to setup without the built-in flash. The particulate with the built-in flash killed a bunch of pics.

Hey DNOS, what kind of camera do you use? Does the diffuser help at all when using the flash? I am looking at camera packages to start with. Thanks

Mike

I have an Olympus C3030Z. Picked up a used Ikelite case on ebay that included a diffuser. I like using the diffuser in clean water close up to the subject ... as close as I can get.

And SuPrBuGMaN, what camera is yours? I definitely want one that I can use in RAW mode after seeing how you can adjust white balance in post.

Olympus C5060 which is now a discontinued model. I believe the closest equivelant is the SP350 in the Olympus PnS lineup still under production.

We were on the Navy Tug the same Day. We were on Cat-N-Around. Great Vis. for our second dive we did the Dutch Banks, Great Dive as well.

Back
Top Bottom