Report: diving from Yelapa (Vallarta)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GazzBC

New
Reaction score
Hi folks, long time lurker, first time caller.

I thought I'd share my experience diving while staying in Yelapa last week. Yelapa is a small village south of Puerto Vallarta accessible only by boat; it's a very mellow place with a large ex-pat/hippie community, live music almost every night, great food and starry nights. However, diving from Yelapa is a challenge.

Based on recommendations from this board, I booked a dive trip with Pacifica Scuba. However, most shops in town start their trips at 9 a.m. Getting from Yelapa to downtown PV by 9 a.m. is possible in theory, but unlikely unless everything goes just right. After missing my dive boat by a solid half hour, I then book with Boca Divers. This small shop is located a much shorter boat ride from Yelapa, and trips leave at 11 a.m. Much more doable from Yelapa.

I'm happy to say that I wasn't disappointed. Boca Divers is only two people, but Karla the divemaster is very professional and a real sweetheart. The rental gear is fairly new and in good shape.

We dove the Majahuitas, a dive just offshore, not far from Boca de Tomatlan. There's no coral and not much sea life, but diving with mantas was the order of they day. They were EVERYWHERE. One stopped to check me out at about 5 feet. Great experience. There is a signficant surge at the Majahuitas site, which got to me at the half-hour mark of the second dive. I blew chunks in my reg (there's a first for everything) and after blowing it out as much as I could had to remove the reg to adequately purge it. I highly recommend not vomiting underwater for fun, but I figure if I can do it and not panic that's a good thing.

I was fine after heaving and was okay to finish out the dive, but Karla saw what was happening and decided to pull the plug at that point. It was a conservative and wise call on her part.

All told a good experience, and a learning one at that.

My wife and I just got back from Puerto Vallarta on Saturday. We both made our open water certification dives with Pacific Scuba. We had an awesome time! About 10 minutes into our first dive we were visited by a giant manta. It was amazing watching this massive creature gliding around us so effortlessly! We saw several large mantas that week, along with humpback whales and tons of other critters.

I hope you enjoyed your trip as much as we did ours.

glad you enjoyed it, although maybe next time skip the huevos rancheros until after the dive! :wink:
everytime my buddy and I dive in Vallarta, there are usually mantas. I would highly recommend diving Chimo & El Morro as well. Usually there is much better vis (avoid in spring & early summer due) and an abundance of large peligacs, fish & reefs.

We did have a great time overall. Not world class diving, but if we go back I'll definitely go again to one of the other sites. I'd have loved to see some turtles and play in the underwater arches. Mantas are pretty damn cool though, and I could have spent more time with them for sure.

Interestingly, many of the locals fear them. I'm sure they could give you a hell of a knock if they felt like it, but the mantas I saw were simply curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom