Replacing Thermalution batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As best I can tell, Thermalution is no more.

You might find a series (12 or so) charge/discharge cycles will bring them back
Thanks for the reply. A distributor told me that Thermalution shutdown due to the founder's death.

I would like to charge/discharge cycle, but the charger acts like the batteries are full while the vest powers off immediately after you turn it on. So I haven't been able to use the vest to drain the batteries. You sound like an electronics guy.. any ideas for a good way to drain the batteries without using the vest?

Thanks for the reply. A distributor told me that Thermalution shutdown due to the founder's death.

I would like to charge/discharge cycle, but the charger acts like the batteries are full while the vest powers off immediately after you turn it on. So I haven't been able to use the vest to drain the batteries. You sound like an electronics guy.. any ideas for a good way to drain the batteries without using the vest?
You might check with thermalution in europe, they still seem to be in business (as of July 2022). They DO have batteries but WOW, are they expensive.

I am selling two Thermulation batteries for a Yellow Plus heated vest.

Hijacking this thread just slightly ...

Has anyone done a DIY repair/replacement of the switch on a hard-wired Thermalution heated shirt?

I've got 2 1/2 pairs of good batteries (and one bad one), but I just discovered that the shirt isn't turning on -- no LED activity on the switch, no heat. I suspect the switch wasn't rinsed thoroughly enough and has been quietly corroding away in my garage for the past year.

I'm interested in purchasing a working shirt -- no batteries needed -- ideally size "small", but I could do a transplant of the wiring from one piece of fabric to another.

Does anyone have a bad battery they would like to get rid of. I had a pin break on one of mine and need the connector end

Has anyone done a DIY repair/replacement of the switch on a hard-wired Thermalution heated shirt?

I've got 2 1/2 pairs of good batteries (and one bad one), but I just discovered that the shirt isn't turning on -- no LED activity on the switch, no heat. I suspect the switch wasn't rinsed thoroughly enough and has been quietly corroding away in my garage for the past year.

I'm interested in purchasing a working shirt -- no batteries needed -- ideally size "small", but I could do a transplant of the wiring from one piece of fabric to another.
I'm on the road but may have what you are looking for. It will be a week before I can look to see what I have. Please PM me here with an email and I'll get back to you...

Thanks,

Gary M

I am looking for a Thermulation dive shirt, the batteries seem to work, the switch will no longer come on. If anyone has any suggestions on repair, please let me know.
Problem was it was turning off after a minute or 2, I messed with it and charged the batteries full, then plunged it all in the vest, it ran at medium heat for 1.5hrs. I assumed the batteries died so i charged them again, now the vest will not turn on at all, no lights on the switch,

Thanks

Jane

I'm on the road but may have what you are looking for. It will be a week before I can look to see what I have. Please PM me here with an email and I'll get back to you...

Thanks,

Gary M
You mentioned you might have a replacement/repair switch for a hard-wired Thermalution heated shirt, or possibly a working shirt. I am looking for one as my switch has died on my shirt

Did you verify signal/voltage with a voltmeter?

I am looking for a Thermulation dive shirt, the batteries seem to work, the switch will no longer come on. If anyone has any suggestions on repair, please let me know.
Problem was it was turning off after a minute or 2, I messed with it and charged the batteries full, then plunged it all in the vest, it ran at medium heat for 1.5hrs. I assumed the batteries died so i charged them again, now the vest will not turn on at all, no lights on the switch,

Thanks

Jane
I've had switches die on 2 shirts -- hence my sudden search for a replacement.

In the first case, the switch was 'inconsistent' for a while -- it would turn on, sometimes flicker, sometimes not turn on, etc. and it degraded within about a week of diving to not working at all. Thermulation (Taiwan) replaced the shirt.

The replacement switch wasn't working when I tested it last month, after working fine during a trip last year. Maybe it was poor cleaning on my part, maybe it was poor storage on my part, but whatever the cause, this problem manifested as a switch that felt "sticky" as soon as I tried it in November, then it never worked.

I've got multiple sets of good batteries, so I'm certain those faults were in the switches.

Jane -- I agree that you should test the batteries. When charged, they should read about 8.4VDC.

I'm tempted to cut open the dead switch on my shirt and check whether it's a simple mechanical issue (ie., maybe the metal contact at the back of the physical slider corroded) or electrical, and see what it would take to fix it. Assuming that the switch itself can't be fixed, I'd probably get a cheap diving light, with a plastic body and simple switch, cut the switch off the Thermulation shirt, drill a hole into the flashlight and wire the shirt into the flashlight switch, then fill the interior of the flashlight with electrical potting compound (epoxy) in place of the battery, sealing the hole.

Back
Top Bottom