Replacing the memorial plaque in Orange Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
While I know the idea of placing memorial plaques in cave systems can be controversial, we don't want the systems to be filled with them. I feel it is only right to maintain the ones already in the systems. To that end I wonder what the appetite is for a small fundraiser to replace the one in OG. The inscription has long since become unreadable, but it can probably be recovered.

It has been a while since I've been in OG, but I estimate that it is 6" x 6". A quick Google search puts those under $200. I'm not sure if we can we reuse the stone base or not. So that might be an additional cost, but I can't imagine it would be more than $500 total.

The memorial would obviously have to be removed from the system for a bit. And since it is a fundraiser and a public one at that I would probably have to get permission from the Park Ranger. Would be nice to get a non-profit like NFSA or the NSS-CDS involved, would ease the tax implications, and any excess could be kept as a donation.

This one ?

Memorial-OrangeGrove.jpg

Looking back on my own video from OG, it looks like it might be one foot square.

Would be nice to get measurements. I also imagine that it would require a lift bag, if that is concrete it probably weighs like 50+ lbs.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom