Replacing E PL-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eotm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about options, currently have the E PL-1, Olympus Housing, two m.Zuiko kit zooms (14-42mm, 40-150mm), Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 fisheye. Currently use the 20mm prime underwater (lose out edges of photo). 14-42mm just isn't a great lens and unfortunately the 7.5mm fisheye is so wide it mostly takes the housing. I think a Panasonic 25mm f1.4 would have been better in retrospect as it is slightly longer, faster and has silent autofocus.

I also need to buy a strobe, perhaps 2.

My system options are

1) Get an OM-D EM-10 when it comes out. Get a Nauticam housing. Swap the 20mm f1.7 for the 25mm f1.4, use that for most things. Keep the 7.5mm fisheye for when I'm expecting to see big stuff. Continue using the 40-150mm on land for vacation photos. Maybe get a macro m4/3 lens eventually to complete build out. Potential pitfalls here are 3-axis IS and no accessory port if I ever want to add a viewfinder, both of which can be solved by ponying up a bit more $ for the EM-1.

2) Switch to Sony's A7R in a Nauticam housing. Start with the 28-70mm kit lens for underwater photography until more FE lenses come out. Key attraction is the 60fps video on the big sensor. Maybe get the 35mm f2.8 Zeiss prime to shoot the video with. Still, have serious concerns about battery life and (less importantly) AF.

3) Just get a dome port (Zen more versatile but Precision probably improves image quality when shooting the fisheye) and continue to use my E PL-1. This will allow me to use the wide-angle Fisheye as well. Maybe swapt he 20mm for the 25mm. I am probably more frustrated with the E PL-1's flaws above water (AF speed, cannot deal with shadows to save it's life in Auto) than underwater anyway.

Still need to figure out what these options cost (more variability in used sale pricing than the stuff I'd be buying). Not constrained by a hard budget per se but personally hate overpaying for features I won't use, which is all too easy to do in camera-land (and some would say in scuba equipment land generally).

4) buy my e-pl5 with nauticam housing and save a bunch of cash :)

I went from e-pl1 to e-pl5 and i found it a HUGE improvement.

If you're thinking of option 3, you might consider just getting the Olympus 9-18mm; it works pretty well with the standard port and wouldn't break the bank. Then if you want to upgrade bodies later, you can do so.

I always found using zoom rings underwater to be more hassle than its worth, which is why I am not too excited about the 9-18mm (which seems to be surprisingly well regarded). Unless you are saying just keep it at the minimum focal length that avoids getting the housing in the image (effectively spending the $500 the dome port would cost on a lens, which is arguably more easy to realize value from later when I upgrade or I can continue to use with the OM-D)? Also, what do you think of the competing Panasonic 7-14mm f4.0 wide-angle zoom (understand no IS on that one)?

No point getting the E-PL5, shot the OM-D EM-5 and its a revelation. Which is probably why you are selling right ;/

I would honestly look at something in a Nauticam housing. At least you will be able to use your ports in the future for other cameras.

I went down the Zen port route with my EPL3 - but its a closed alley. Olympus aren't doing any more Pens (as evidenced by the EM-10) so the zen ports for the olympus housings (at the moment) haven't got any future uses.

Nauticam have 3 port sizes. DSLR (Think Canon / Nikon) Mirrorless (Olympus, Panasonic and Sony) and now one sat in-between for the Sony A7R.

If you stick with the m43 format.
Lens suggestions: 7-14mm, 60mm Macro and 8mm FE. Not cheap - but stellar.

If video is something you fancy, have a look at the upcoming DMC-GH4 from Panasonic, 4K 30fps video, 1/250 sync.

Sorry for the bump but about to order the OM-D EM-10 (went with it over the EM-1 for phase detect AF because use case #2 is sports photos). Recommendations on Panny 7-14mm vs Zuiko 9-18mm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom