Replacing dry suit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I found a drysuit for pretty cheap its a Dacor trylaminate. The seller says it needs new seals, how hard is it to put seals in a dry suit, and is this suit even worth buying and investing in new seals

about how much do new seals cost. I took the drysuit course but really dont know much about the suit themselves
any help is appreciated

he wants 150$

Last edited:
I found a drysuit for pretty cheap its a Dacor trylaminate. The seller says it needs new seals, how hard is it to put seals in a dry suit, and is this suit even worth buying and investing in new seals

about how much do new seals cost. I took the drysuit course but really dont know much about the suit themselves
any help is appreciated

AFAIK, new wrist and neck seals should run you somewhere around $200+ if you have it done.

However, if it needs seals bad enough that the seller mentiond it, the suit probably either needs a zipper or will need one soon, which will run you somewhere around another $300.

Unless the seller is local and you can go look at the suit, or will be installing the seals yourself, I'd probably skip it.

Terry

I don't know what you're paying, but divers supply has typhoon suits on sale around $500 or so I think, and a buddy of mine on here (willardj) just bought a sea elite crushed neoprene suit for $500 that turned out to be a relabeled Atlan North Shore ($1,500 suit). might want to consider the price of the seals and the PITA to replace them, likelihood of goofing it up etc.

Dacor suits are pretty easy to work on, but I would be more concerned about the seams. It's a older Trilam and unless I'm mistaken all of their seams were glued together. I would be very hesitant to buy an older suit like that unless you have a chance to pressure test it first. Believe me, from being in the dry suit business, older second hand suits can be a nightmare.

New wrist and neck seals should run you somewhere around $200+ if you have it done. However, if it needs seals bad enough that the seller mentiond it, the suit probably either needs a zipper or will need one soon, which will run you somewhere around another $300.
I think $150-200 is a good estimate. You should visually inspect the the zipper as well.
USIA:
It's a older Trilam and unless I'm mistaken all of their seams were glued together.
If turns out to be the case, I would pass.
Unless the seller is local and you can go look at the suit, or will be installing the seals yourself, I'd probably skip it.
Fit is a major component in assessing the 'worth' of a suit. A $150 suit, in pristine condition, that doesn't fit you, is worth (to you) $0. I agree with WM on this. If you can't see it, inspect it, and try it on, pass.

I think $150-200 is a good estimate. You should visually inspect the the zipper as well.If turns out to be the case, I would pass.Fit is a major component in assessing the 'worth' of a suit. A $150 suit, in pristine condition, that doesn't fit you, is worth (to you) $0. I agree with WM on this. If you can't see it, inspect it, and try it on, pass.

and not just try it on, but know how a d/s should fit, what stretches to do in it and what undergarments to wear under it when you checking the fit. ie you can't check the fit without wearing the undergarments you plan on using - they can be bulky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom