Replacement Inflator Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuby Dooby

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Zeagle Ranger, about 3 years old, and it looks like it's time to replace the inflator mechanism. I've never really liked the way it worked anyway, seemed to be sticky very soon after purchase and even after disassembly and soaking parts in vinegar a few times it is sticking worse and worse. I've had enough and would like to replace it with a non zeagle inflator. The local dive shop has OMS replacement inflators with corrugated hose for about $25 (maybe $35, can't quite remember!). My questions:

- Would it work on a Zeagle BC?

The shop wasn't sure and, unfortunately, my gear isn't accessible right now (long story).

- What do people think of the OMS inflators?

- What others brands would you recommend and how much $$$ would you expect your recommendations to cost?

I really could care less who's name is on it and whether the colors are 'purdy'; just want something reliable / comfortable.

Thanks in advance all.

:)

I don't have any experience with the OMS inflators but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on a Zeagle.

The Zeagle inflators have been a pain in the butt ever since they came out with this design. They use a bent washer for a spring and once things get gummed up they stick. The worst of it is that it cause the bc to continuously inflate.

When we had a shop we got fed up with messing with them and replace them all with after market inflators.

You can even use a trident inflator. I do't know who actually manufactures them but they are cheap and as reliable as any I've seen.

Thanks Mike,

I guess my worry is that the part where they screw on might not be standardized. Can I assume that any inflator hose should screw on to a bladder, regardless of the brands involved?

thanks for replying so quickly!

OK . . . big DUH!!!

My gear is in the Philippines right now and I'm in Hong Kong so I didn't have in in front of me after seeing this inflator on sale. After thinking about my question for a little bit I realized the obvious - of course there is no need to replace the whole hose, just snip off the tie wraps and stick the new inflator on with a couple of new wraps! Guess what threw me was that the OMS unit is being sold with the hose attached . . . Hopefully this answers my own question!

Scuby Dooby:
OK . . . big DUH!!!

My gear is in the Philippines right now and I'm in Hong Kong so I didn't have in in front of me after seeing this inflator on sale. After thinking about my question for a little bit I realized the obvious - of course there is no need to replace the whole hose, just snip off the tie wraps and stick the new inflator on with a couple of new wraps! Guess what threw me was that the OMS unit is being sold with the hose attached . . . Hopefully this answers my own question!

yes. You can keep the coregated hose you have and just slap another inflator on it.

oooooooohhhhh . . . the mystery deepens . . . there is also the cord for the pull dump to think about. What is the right answer? without the d**n thing in front of me I just don't know :)

Back
Top Bottom