Replacement chart plotter for small dive boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalblake

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a small (6 person) dive boat used around Jervis Bay (Australia). Never goes more than 5 miles offshore.
My Lowrance 5200c chart plotter has worked well for years but recently got water under the card cover - which fried the SD card. Luckily I had backed up the Navionics files a while back. Coped the files to a new card. I know the 5200c is reading the new card because it offers choice of maps that are on the card BUT it doesnt display them. If I zoom out to 2000nm radius I see an outline of australia(!) but zoom in to normal range (say 20nm) and there is no map despite me having selected "Sydney to Tasmania" in the map data settings. So looks like I need to replace the GPS/chart plotter if I want to see charts again.

In the 15+ years since my 5200c was produced things have moved on a bit. There are literally hundreds of models - from $500 to $5000+ 99% of which are marketed for fishing. Any thoughts on a sensible plotter for a small (6 person) dive boat? Sub $1000. What should I be considering now?
My sounder works just fine - but most of the new models are both sounder and GPS/plotter - so I guess I'll be replacing the sounder at the same time?

Thoughts?

Can’t help with recommendations on the chart plotter, but have you tested the SD card in another plotter. Lowrance may have some sort of lock on the original card, or can you borrow a card from someone to test in your CP

Worst case take your card to you favourite chandler and say I am interested in xxxxx but I want to test my SD card charts first.

You may not need to buy a new chart plotter if all you need is the SD card, or worse you buy a new CP then discover you need the card as well.

I have been pleased with the HDS line. I have two of the 9" on one boat and a 12" on the other. Price varies with size, but I'm sure you can find one of the sizes under $1000.

I just use my phone with the navionics app.

I just use my phone with the navionics app.
As much as I love the Navionics app (I have it on my phone -- higher res -- and the same data on my chartplotter), I find there is no substitute for seeing what is under the boat in real time. A lot of structure is too small to show up in the Navionics data.

I don't have any first-hand recommendations on a replacement MFD but a friend with a lot of small boat experience just researched this and he is going with a Raymarine Axiom unit.

Coming from a 15-year-old system, I bet you will be blown away by the current state of side imaging technology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom