Replacement battery for Suunto transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all - In Singapore its hard to purchase replacement batteries for my Suunto transmitter. Typically I purchase VARTA CR1/2 AA Li/3.0V. These batteries are hard to find, but can easily purchase Panasonic batteries with similar specifications. It seems to me that this battery will work fine. Any suggestions...

As long as the battery dimensions and voltage are the same I would think you'd be fine. Suunto uses Saft brand batteries as OEM replacement for the Eon Steel Tank Pod if that's any help.

VARTA is a brand name. any CR1/2AA lithium ion 3.0V battery should work They can be hard to find but most of the specialty battery shops should carry them or can get them.

Does anyone have any experience using the same size but 3.6v battery in that application/version of the transmitter?

The Saft battery appears to be 3.6v (vs 3.0v for the Varta). Apparently the newer transmitters are OK with the higher voltage?

Last edited:
I agree that any battery with the same size and specs should work. The battery costs S$8 or less than $6USD, a far cry from sourcing it from Suunto or a dive shop. Now I need to find a o-ring distributor.

I even replace my D6i battery with an equivalent battery. Never had a problem with the transmitter or computer. Although everyone tells me never to replace the battery on the computer.

Yeah, and 'everyone' says to never overhaul your reg either. Sometimes I'm surprised people don't take their kit to the dive shop for post dive rinsing. :wink:

1st time I took the Suunto transmitter in to the shop for it's first battery change, they tried to charge me $50 (for a $5 battery and less than 10 minutes of work), AND the battery was NOT Varta, it was junk that lasted 2 months. I was pissed and wrote the owner a complaint letter. He didn't even seem to recognize that they were replacing customer batteries with junk, just gave me the old song and dance about needing a professional to service life support equipment. And they wonder how they alienate customers.

I changed that junk out and put a Varta in myself. Easy, took minutes. Once you get into photography you damn well better be competent with O-rings. :)

Yeah, and 'everyone' says to never overhaul your reg either. Sometimes I'm surprised people don't take their kit to the dive shop for post dive rinsing. :wink:

1st time I took the Suunto transmitter in to the shop for it's first battery change, they tried to charge me $50 (for a $5 battery and less than 10 minutes of work), AND the battery was NOT Varta, it was junk that lasted 2 months. I was pissed and wrote the owner a complaint letter. He didn't even seem to recognize that they were replacing customer batteries with junk, just gave me the old song and dance about needing a professional to service life support equipment. And they wonder how they alienate customers.

I changed that junk out and put a Varta in myself. Easy, took minutes. Once you get into photography you damn well better be competent with O-rings. :)

Do you really think that a Varta battery is better than the equivalent Panasonic or Duracell battery? I suspect that Suunto sources Varta, since it is a EU product.

I don't know if it's better than other options, but the one the shop put in (FDK) was junk. For a critical item like that I'd prefer not to be having it die or change it several times a year.

Searching for CR1/2AA or CR1425 I cannot find anything for Panasonic or Duracell. I have some Panasonic CR123A (3v) that at a glance seem similar but actually are much larger batteries so would not work.
What I do find on a search is Varta, Sony, FDK (which seem to be a Sony knock-off), and some generic blue things that I'm not sure I'd trust.

The ER1425 are the same size but 3.6v. Those are the ones I wonder if you can safely substitute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom