Replace zipper on drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy_Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have a 10 year old Bare D6 with about 400 dives on it. It has a tzip. Recently, three tiny gaps have opened up between the teeth of the zipper near the docking end. Maybe tiny bits broken off the teeth. I am thinking this means replacing the zipper. Two questions for veteran drysuit divers:
-Do you think it is worth replacing the zipper on a suit that old? I want to replace the zipper if I can probably get a few more years of life out of it. It looks a little faded, but still in good shape.
-What is the going rate to replace a zipper?

Thanks!

You can get your zip replaced for $350-400 if you find the right shop. That said, does your suit leak? Have your patched a bunch of holes or is it still sound? Does it have all the features you want? Is spending $3k+ for an off the shelf suit worth it? Is spending $1.5k for a made to measure Seaskin worth it to get all your bells and whistles?

Any suit that fits and stays dry is worth keeping around until it doesn't do the 2 things above.

You can get your zip replaced for $350-400 if you find the right shop. That said, does your suit leak? Have your patched a bunch of holes or is it still sound? Does it have all the features you want? Is spending $3k+ for an off the shelf suit worth it? Is spending $1.5k for a made to measure Seaskin worth it to get all your bells and whistles?

Any suit that fits and stays dry is worth keeping around until it doesn't do the 2 things above.

Thanks for your response Boarderguy. The suit is otherwise in good shape, so if I can find a shop to replace the zipper for $400 (or a little more), I will do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom