Replace the Optio or start over?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well, Since my flooded Optio S50 is having ever more and more and more failures, I need to bite the bullet and replace it.

UW photography has added a new dimension to my diving that I'm enjoying. Thankfully, even when the stinkin' camera fails, I still enjoy the dives though.

I have pretty much decided I am strictly a 'Point~n~Shooter' and really don't care to go big and add a strobe. While there are a few options I would like that the Optio does not have, I am very pleased with the pictures I've been able to take with it.

So now the choices...

- do I simply replace the Optio S50 for another one? This would be the simplest and probably cheapest option.

- do I find another camera that fits in the same Pentax housing (I think there are a couple of others, but haven't researched what they are or their prices yet).

- do I get a completely different camera and housing? Maybe one that has more of the features I want, yet has the small size and stowability of the Optio (I keep a bolt snap attached and just clip it to a D-ring when I'm not snapshooting)?

Ugh.

Meanwhile, figuring I have nothing to lose, I took the Optio apart. With all the corrosion I found, I'm astounded that it still works at all :11:

If you are happy with the Optio (and you've gotten some great shots!) and are happy with the way things are, replace it. It's a nifty camera.

You can always add another system when you are ready to start delving into more control...then your Optio becomes your back up :)

Can't deny you've gotten some great shots with the Optio. Every P&S on the market is going to be missing something...it's always a trade off. You're familiar with the Optio and are getting great results...I'd go back with another one.

Well, even though I actually got almost 100 pictures on the re-assembled Optio yesterday, I went ahead and ordered a new one.

Rusty_Optio.jpg

Look at that! I've always wanted to take one apart....was it fun?!?! :D :D :D

Dee:
....was it fun?!?!
Are you kidding??? Of COURSE it was :D

It was kinda neat to see at least some of the Optio guts. Once the new one gets here, I'll probably take this one apart even more. If it still works (again) when I put it back together (again), I'll keep it for a spare unless I happen across someone in need (not want :wink:) of a camera to give it to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom